Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gil

MLB Ejection 059 - Todd Tichenor (2; Clint Hurdle)

HP Umpire Todd Tichenor ejected Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle (Replay Review decision that upheld 1B Umpire Tom Hallion's out call; QOCN-c) in the bottom of the 8th inning of the Rockies-Pirates game. With one out and none on, Pirates batter Jake Elmore hit a 3-1 fastball from Rockies pitcher German...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

yea, that's a bad replay review IMHO.

sidenote, the fact that F1 had the ball would negate any possible OBS call due to his free hand impeding the batter-runners progress?

If he's attempting a tag with possession of the ball, with or without the ball in the hand making the tag, that's not OBS.

If he'd grabbed his jersey and attempted to prevent him from advancing, that'd definitely be OBS. But, in this situation, since the umpire believed the tag was an out, it wouldn't matter. And, if the umpire had made the call correctly from the start, the OBS would have awarded him 1B, so it would have been the same outcome.

according to the article........:sarcasm:

ruled an out by 1B Umpire Hallion and upheld via Replay Review

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Someone help me out here..... why is he out? 

"Because I said so" is probably what they said on the field.

In reality, he shouldn't have been.

• Thanks 1

How is that “inconclusive”, which is the only explanation here to stick with the call on the field? If you can’t get that right with replay, why bother? That’s embarrassing. 

I can see how the guys on the field missed it (“looking down the barrel”) ... but wow ... just ... wow.