MLB Ejection 059 - Todd Tichenor (2; Clint Hurdle)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1793 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Todd Tichenor ejected Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle (Replay Review decision that upheld 1B Umpire Tom Hallion's out call; QOCN-c) in the bottom of the 8th inning of the Rockies-Pirates game. With one out and none on, Pirates batter Jake Elmore hit a 3-1 fastball from Rockies pitcher German...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

If he's attempting a tag with possession of the ball, with or without the ball in the hand making the tag, that's not OBS.

If he'd grabbed his jersey and attempted to prevent him from advancing, that'd definitely be OBS. But, in this situation, since the umpire believed the tag was an out, it wouldn't matter. And, if the umpire had made the call correctly from the start, the OBS would have awarded him 1B, so it would have been the same outcome.

8 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Someone help me out here..... why is he out? 

"Because I said so" is probably what they said on the field.

In reality, he shouldn't have been.

• Thanks 1