Spray the Baseballs or Nicely Set Them Down in a Bunch

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1772 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I saw this video and while the it is a cool play at the plate I wanted to poll the audience to see what the group thinks about something that maybe only umpires will notice. 

Spraying the baseballs at the end of a game. Big deal or personal preference? 

What do you do with the baseballs when the game is over? 

I always try to hand the baseballs to the manager or an assistant or even sometimes a player. However, sometimes the coaches are busy and not paying attention and I drop the baseballs next to the dugout opening, but I never roll them accross the infield. I'm not going to actively seek out the coaches to give the back the baseballs. Most of the time they are probably mad at me anyway! :wacko:

That being said, I don't have a huge issue with what the umpire did here, nor do I find it disrespectful. Coaches probably don't even notice. Not something I would do or teach, but I see many guys do it. JMO.

• Like 1

My take is always get off the field as quickly as possible. If I’m walking off by the home team dugout, I drop them near the entry way or right in front of the dugout. If I end up walking near the coach on the way out, I’ll just hand them off. I don’t seek, but if he’s there, he’s there. If the home side is opposite of where I’m exiting, I’ll usually take a few steps over towards that dugout and lightly toss them near towards their dugout. I’ll usually do that from well off/behind the dirt circle, and make sure I’m not tossing near anyone. Not from in front of the plate as seen here and not with a lot of force. Looking to make it a bit more subtle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

No doubt about it. Definitely no need to do that. 

Especially if they're the losing team! :D

BTW, I like how you post videos and invite discussion. I find it useful and helpful. Please keep it up!

My organization says the following about it: "Return any remaining balls to home team, do not roll, throw them, or leave at home plate"

I used to do similar to @Thatsnotyou . With the new organization, I'd go over to the dugout and drop them next to the entry to the dugout. If it's the opposite way out from the field exit, I'll drop and jog off to the other side.

I set them down and leave, no throwing or rolling.  :ranton: A pet peeve of mine is players/coaches rolling balls to me between innings.  I will not bend down to pick them up.  We are out there, standing the entire time I might add, working a game on our own time.  I let them sit there until they complete their warmup tosses.  When the catcher throws down, I brush the plate and kindly ask him to please get those balls for me.  Most coaches/players have the courtesy to walk over and hand them to me but some do not. And I being a hard ass, maybe, but we deserve respect as well. :rantoff:   I'll go sit down now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, urout17 said:

I set them down and leave, no throwing or rolling.  :ranton: A pet peeve of mine is players/coaches rolling balls to me between innings.  I will not bend down to pick them up.  We are out there, standing the entire time I might add, working a game on our own time.  I let them sit there until they complete their warmup tosses.  When the catcher throws down, I brush the plate and kindly ask him to please get those balls for me.  Most coaches/players have the courtesy to walk over and hand them to me but some do not. And I being a hard ass, maybe, but we deserve respect as well. :rantoff:   I'll go sit down now.

I agree with all of this. I'll even tell them not to throw balls at me. And if they roll em at me, they stay on the field until someone picks them  up.

14 hours ago, urout17 said:

This. So much this. I refuse to pick them up as well. If it’s high school (this rarely if ever happens) I’ll say please throw them to the catcher or bring them to me next time. If it’s travel, I’m a bit more...loose with my wording. When I sense the disrespect, I’ve straight up told them that I have hands and/or I’m not a dog. The majority of the time it’s out of disrespect. Inning ends, here comes a hard grounder towards the plate. Wtf? So hell no I’m not picking them up. This isn’t fetch. I’ve played absolute dumb when I’ve seen them coming and let them roll right past my feet. 

When a ball goes out of play should I roll one to your pitcher? Just chuck it out there along the ground? 

The LL games I have done the teams all line up and shake hands or fist bump.  I stand at home plate and watch to make sure there is no idiocy going on. Yes kids have spit on their hands and that's a big no no when they do it.  At that point its hand them over to the home team coaching staff whomever gets to me 1st.  Then exit the field with my partner or if I'm solo alone of course.

**  tourney play when we have done 3 man and 4 man teams we gather and exit the field immediately.  I have never plated one of those yet so I imagine the umpire takes the balls with him.  I guess that's something I will ask heh

3 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I imagine the umpire takes the balls with him.  I guess that's something I will ask heh

I don't. Baseballs are expensive.

(Later edit: I misunderstood the scenario. Sorry.)

59 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Unless your league requires otherwise, you should follow this same standard when working 2-man or solo.

Its what the UIC for D1 told me to do during league play.  Again this is not tourney play.  Its to ensure all goes well with sportsmanship 

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

He gives them to the tourney director after exiting the field I believe.. I will have to ask

That's how it works at tournaments here. Umpires bring the baseballs tithe field, and then take them away. Some tournament directors get real crabby if you don't bring all of them back.

1 hour ago, Biscuit said:

That's how it works at tournaments here. Umpires bring the baseballs tithe field, and then take them away. Some tournament directors get real crabby if you don't bring all of them back.

"Sorry, Jim, you don't pay me to retrieve them."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Some tournament directors get real crabby if you don't bring all of them back.

TIME!!!...........umpire walks off the field.....................where is he going?

TO CHASE A FOUL BALL!!

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

TIME!!!...........umpire walks off the field.....................where is he going?

TO CHASE A FOUL BALL!!

Hey, didn't say it makes any sense, just that tournament directors do :D

I’ll bring back whatever is in my ball bag. It’s your problem after that, mr director. 

Related, I hate the tournaments that want you to keep some sort of score sheet, record the score and have both team managers sign it and return it to HQ. No thanks. I’m an umpire, not tournament management. I don’t need to be chasing down managers after the game. My job is over. I need to get off the field. I always just have the home team coach take it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatsnotyou said:

I’ll bring back whatever is in my ball bag. It’s your problem after that, mr director. 

Related, I hate the tournaments that want you to keep some sort of score sheet, record the score and have both team managers sign it and return it to HQ. No thanks. I’m an umpire, not tournament management. I don’t need to be chasing down managers after the game. My job is over. I need to get off the field. I always just have the home team coach take it. 

Around here, you give it to the home team, and then collect it after the game (make sure it's signed and all that). I don't mind collecting... Unless it's a contentious game. Then I do mind.