Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Rock Bottom

Batter-Runner Interference on Bunt or Hit Close to Home?

Question

I searched this but couldn't find it, although I'm guessing it's been asked and answered before so my apologies.

NFHS rules.  Right-handed batter bunts or takes a full swing, but the net result is the same, a ball a short distance away from home plate.  The catcher quickly moves out from behind the plate to field the ball, bat at the same time the B-R takes off for first and runs into the catcher.  Is this a no-call - play on?  Or is it interference on the batter?  (Of the 3 choices I'm 99.99% sure it is NOT obstruction on the catcher.)  Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Sounds like tangle/untangle. Was the runner doing what was expected; running to first? Was the catcher doing what was expected as well? Straight out of the gate, just coming out of the box, most likely this is nothing.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Please do not explain tangle/untangle in terms of "just doing what they're supposed to do." That is NOT the basis for the ruling. Using it as such invites mistakenly applying it to other runners at other bases as well as numerous other errors of interpretation.

This exception to the runner INT rule (which ordinarily would protect F2 from any contact by a runner, even accidental, while fielding a batted ball) is explicitly in the rules/case plays. It's a special case with a unique circumstance and is restricted to the BR immediately running to 1B.

Same ruling all codes. The proper mechanic after the contact—which can be substantial enough for one or more of them to go down—is to signal 'safe' and verbalize, "That's nothing!" (For younger players, who seem to stop whenever we say anything, we can add, "Play on!")

• Thanks 1

While it is true that both NCAA and OBR address this question in an actual rule [NCAA rule 7-11f Exception 4; OBR rule 6.01(a)(10) Comment], I don’t think the FED does. At least the 2016 BRD couldn’t find one and neither did Gil Imber of Close Call Sports in his 2018 analysis of a high school tangle/untangle play. So, Mr. Rock Bottom, there is a reason you could not find any rule or case play for NFHS rules—there is nothing to be found.

But let not your heart be troubled. There is help—just click on the following links and check out a great video and article by Gil Imber.

https://www.closecallsports.com/search?q=tangle%2Funtangle

• Thanks 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this