Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brad

Pick off move on the way to set

Question

Guest Brad

Can a picher take a sign start moving his hands together and make a hop move to first while hands coming to set.

Thanks

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Guest Brad said:

Can a picher take a sign start moving his hands together and make a hop move to first while hands coming to set.

Thanks

Yes

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

When attempting a pickoff throw the pitcher does not have to come to a stop. He may make a pickoff throw at any time throughout the process of his stretch to set position. Here is what it says in the rules:

2018 NFHS rule 6-1-2…During these preliminary motions and during the set position until a delivery motion occurs, the pitcher may turn on his pivot foot or lift it in a jump turn to step with the non-pivot foot toward a base while throwing or feinting as outlined in 6-2-4 and 2- 28-5, or he may lift his pivot foot in a step backward off the pitcher’s plate which must be in or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate.

2019 OBR rule 5.07(d) Throwing to the Bases

At any time during the pitcher’s preliminary movements and until his natural pitching motion commits him to the pitch, he may throw to any base provided he steps directly toward such base before making the throw.

Rule 5.07(d) Comment: The pitcher shall step “ahead of the throw.” A snap throw followed by the step directly toward the base is a balk.

Must come to a stop before throwing a pitch.  A pick off is not a pitch.

From OBR:

6.02 Pitcher Illegal Action
(a) Balks
If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when:

(13) The pitcher delivers the pitch from Set Position without
coming to a stop.

Guest Brad

I get the statement of the OBR, but explain to me why I just watched 200+ mlb moves (power of Youtube) to first (good moves and balks) and don't see the move used once.

Literally the kids front foot was still moving back and his hands changed direction (drawing the ball back and shoulders turn and then the back foot hops. If legal, I just watched a 9 years old with a better move than anyone in MLB. Picked 6 in a row.

Is it a balk because his front foot is moving back (never stops) and he then turns it to first and therefore it is not a direct step to the base?

12 minutes ago, Guest Brad said:

I get the statement of the OBR, but explain to me why I just watched 200+ mlb moves (power of Youtube) to first (good moves and balks) and don't see the move used once.

Literally the kids front foot was still moving back and his hands changed direction (drawing the ball back and shoulders turn and then the back foot hops. If legal, I just watched a 9 years old with a better move than anyone in MLB. Picked 6 in a row.

Is it a balk because his front foot is moving back (never stops) and he then turns it to first and therefore it is not a direct step to the base?

It's hard to tell from your description, but if the foot was moving "bacK" toward the rubber and he then spun off that  foot, it's a balk for not stepping toward first.  The free foot needs to end up closer to first than from where it started.

11 minutes ago, Guest Brad said:

Based on your description, I don't see anything illegal. Sounds like a jump turn to me, which requires him to throw to 1st. 

I too am struggling to understand the description.

2 hours ago, Guest Brad said:

the kids front foot was still moving back and his hands changed direction

If the free foot is moving in any direction than toward 1B and F1 throws to 1B, that will be a balk for not stepping directly to 1B ahead of the throw.

22 hours ago, Guest Brad said:

Can a pitcher take a sign, start moving his hands together, and make a hop move to first while hands coming to set.

If the hands are moving as if to come set, and F1 does a legal jump spin to 1B, that's legal. There is no requirement to initiate a pickoff attempt from a stationary position.

If neither of those is covering the play, then I don't understand it.

36 minutes ago, Phu Bai said:

A change of direction with the hands is considered a stop?  Correct

USed to be true in college.  They changed it (to match the other codes) probably more than 10 years ago.

Guest Brad

Yep, Just progressed through the move with my kid. When you try to jump move as you retract your front foot, it makes your pivot foot slide out and your front foot continue to the rubber. No Step toward the base = Balk

Again, this has to be why I can find no one using this move to first in MLB.

1 hour ago, Guest Brad said:

Yep, Just progressed through the move with my kid. When you try to jump move as you retract your front foot, it makes your pivot foot slide out and your front foot continue to the rubber. No Step toward the base = Balk

Again, this has to be why I can find no one using this move to first in MLB.

It might not be seen in MLB because MLB umps might perceive a discontinuity between the coming set action and the pickoff action. That slight interruption of coming set is balked as a started to come set and stopped. I’ve seen MLB pitchers balked when stepping off while coming set. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this