Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest John V

Hit By Pitch

Question

Guest John V

When a better is hit by a pitch, he is awarded 1B. Is the batter required to attempt to get out of the way of the pitch?

14 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
9 hours ago, Guest John V said:

When a better is hit by a pitch, he is awarded 1B. Is the batter required to attempt to get out of the way of the pitch?

from my readings of this board, generally yes, depending on the level of play, umpires may give the benefit of the doubt to the batter, lower levels get more leeway. 

MLB rule 5.05(b)

(2) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (A) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (B) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; (2) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to 2019 Official Baseball Rules_2019 Official Baseball Rules 3/26/2019 5:16 PM Page 23 Rule 5.05(b)(2) to 5.05(b)(3) 24 avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched. APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance. 

9 hours ago, Guest John V said:

It depends on how you interpret / mean that underlined statement.  It is the wording from OBR, but it doesn't mean exactly what it says.

I prefer the FED "shall not permit the ball to hit him" -- meaning that if the batter *has a chance* to avoid and doesn't take it, then he stays at the plate.  But, if he had no chance to avoid, or was going to get hit anyway, send him to first.

Even then, there's lots of judgment involved.

• Like 1

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 7.3.4 Situation D:  B1 is at bat with 2-0 count. The batter is fooled by the pitch and did not permit the ball to hit him. The pitch hits B1 in the shoulder. The batter made no other movement. RULING:  B1 is awarded first base.

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 8.1.1 Situation D:  When may a batter be hit by a pitch and not be awarded first base? RULING:  (a) When the pitch is a strike; (b) when the batter permits the ball to touch him; (c) with no runners on base, the pitch is illegal and is not ball four or (d) when the batter attempts to hit the pitch.

FED Official Interpretation:  McNeely:  Generally speaking, the batter will be awarded first unless he tries to get hit by the pitch. He may not permit the pitch to hit him, but:  “Movement to avoid the pitch may or may not be such an indication.” (TASO meeting, 1/15/10)

I would even go so far as to say in "little fella rec ball" (9-10), if they so much as squint their eyes shut and freeze.......... they probably tried to "not allow the ball to hit them".  In their mind, they most likely tried to get out of the way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I would even go so far as to say in "little fella rec ball" (9-10), if they so much as squint their eyes shut and freeze.......... they probably tried to "not allow the ball to hit them".  In their mind, they most likely tried to get out of the way.

Yeah, but....

If the ball takes a couple of bounces and hits the foot while they're standing there, they had plenty of time to get out of the way (see this more in rec-ball softball than baseball, but still...)

11 hours ago, Guest John V said:

I would say it's more like "has a reasonable opportunity to avoid getting hit".   Flinching and closing your eyes are often natural reactions to a pitch coming at you, and a batter should not be punished for doing so.   

I broke my collarbone after getting hit by a 90 mph pitch.  The ball left his hand, and then I was on the ground...and then I was standing up and wondering why I could touch my knee without bending over.

It happened that fast.   I did not attempt to get out of the way because the ball hit me before I realized it was going to.  I certainly didn't try to get hit.   And I certainly didn't want to get hit.  I neither attempted to get out of the way, nor did I let it hit me.  And I got my base (though the sub occurred before I reached base).   

Yeah, but, but...

If it’s rec league softball, they might very well have the rule that a batter does NOT need to avoid a pitch if it’s completely inside of the batter’s box. 

That’s the rule that was first created by NCAA baseball, then NCAA softball adopted it, then it trickles down to many other amateur softball rule sets. 

2 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I would say it's more like "has a reasonable opportunity to avoid getting hit"...

That’s the way I always looked at it. The batter has an obligation to avoid the pitch- if it is indeed avoidable. Many times it’s not. 

If the pitch is not an actual K zone strike and they did not make an effort to actually get hit by the pitch I would say they have made an attempt to get out of the way depending on the skill and age level. An 8 to 12 yr old my get buckled by a kid throwing a curve ball that doesn't curve and or "freeze", to that fact the 8 to 10 yr old may poop himself right there thinking "Oh no I'm gonna get hit"  IMHO  players like Don Baylor pushed the boundaries of this way too far and made it more difficult on PU's 

I see too many kids taught to "wear it" and they just stand there and will take a shot to arm or head, or worse, they'll open up and take one to the face or chest. I've got no problem with a player "wearing one" if it's coming right at them, but at least teach them to turn their back to the ball  and bend over. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.