Basketball Gear

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1779 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys, I've decided to get into doing basketball via THSBOA for this fall, but I'm having trouble with my lack of basketball gear knowledge. What would you recommend for:

- Pants

I'm considering either the Davis adjustable pants or the Smitty 4 way stretch.

- Shoes

This is the toughest one. I'm looking at the 3n2 Patents, Smittys, and Asics GT1000.

- Gear Bag

Looking at the UnderArmour Storm

Thanks! -BR

I wear pre-stretch Smittys, and they are fine. If/when I need a new pair, I'll probably try the stretch version. I don't like the adjustable waistband type, because they tend not to sit at the right place and stay there, especially as, unlike baseball, you probably won't be wearing a belt. One tip: make sure they are hemmed at the right length, after being measured while wearing your ref shoes--it's a sloppy look, otherwise.

As for shoes, you may find that officials wear all sorts of shoes and even all-black sneakers. I don't like patent leather, both because of the look and the lack of breathability. You might find mesh shoes (like the ASICS) preferable for their breathability; a lot of college guys around here wear mesh. I wear regular leather Reebok Zigs for school games and black sneakers with cushioning for rec league games. I've heard people speak highly about the Hoka One One Bondi (https://www.hokaoneone.com/men/bondi-leather/1019496.html#start=16&cgid=mens-view-all).

Some additional comments: many refs here wear one of those rubber belts, to keep their shirt in; this next year, I'll try Neat Tucks. And some guys wear long johns under their pants, although the reasoning for that in basketball escapes me.

By the way, if you don't already know about it, you may want to frequent this site, where you will find a lot of good information and points of view: https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/

• Like 1

When I got my stuff for basketball last year (my first year), I went with the 4 way stretch, and 3n2's. I've had no issues with the pants. The shoes are pretty good, but I doubt they're the best there are. I'm happy I got them, but I certainly would look around and see what you like.

I absolutely agree that you should get some sort of shirt stay. I use the foot loops with alligator clips (name escapes me, they're in UA), and they've worked well for me. Annoyed me a tad the first couple games, but after that they were fine.

I really enjoyed basketball as a way to get me to baseball season. It's interesting, because a lot of the same principles apply, but it just feels way faster. Still prefer baseball, but that's probably because I know baseball way better.

• Like 1

Don't go cheap on shoes. I wore some Nikes and stepped on something one game and my whole foot was purple. I had a full slate of middle school games and didn't get rest for it until Christmas and developed a little plantar fasciatis. It hurt and I could barely flex my toes. I bought Zigs immediately and they're so much more comfortable.

I love the stretch pants.

Get the Fox 40 with the rubber guard. Your teeth will thank you.

I clean my whistle with that 3-minute denture cleaner. Drop it in water, dissolve, put whistle in. Rinse and I soaked in straight water for a bit to get any smell out.

I don't like the "mouthpiece" whistles--they feel "clunky" to me. I prefer the original Fox 40, which might be the Classic. Just make sure you use a pea-less whistle, not the old-fashioned kind with a little ball inside the chamber. And get two. 

Well, all officials are, at heart, gear junkies.

I will say this about refereeing basketball--I don't need to worry about heather versus charcoal or matching my partner's weird choice of shirt color. 

10 minutes ago, BlueRanger said:

Do they fit the same way the Smitty Polydex baseball pants fit?

I have a local officials shop owned by a now-retired D3 umpire/currently D3 assigner, where I can try things on. If you don't have that luxury, you could order from ump-attire, which has free shipping ($129+) and free returns. Get two pairs of pants in the style and size you want to try them, add a whistle or two, and you've earned free shipping; if you don't like the pants or they don't fit right, return and repeat the process.

18 hours ago, BlueRanger said:

Do they fit the same way the Smitty Polydex baseball pants fit?

I found them to be tighter, and not as stretchy (despite the name) as the baseball pants. Order them on size I'd say (but with UA, order as many as you want, and return the ones you don't like!) It's a good thing too, due to the lack of belt. They stay up fine, and I really like them.

On the whistles: I hate the CMG. The classic feels way better in my mouth, but make sure you don't bite down on it. Personally, I really like the lanyard that hooks into the circle on the shirt, but I wish I had gotten a noose style in addition. I don't think I'd wear it most or the time, but if the circle comes off, you then have a backup, and you can use the whistle even when not in your shirt.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Biscuit said:

I found them to be tighter, and not as stretchy (despite the name) as the baseball pants. Order them on size I'd say (but with UA, order as many as you want, and return the ones you don't like!) It's a good thing too, due to the lack of belt. They stay up fine, and I really like them.

On the whistles: I hate the CMG. The classic feels way better in my mouth, but make sure you don't bite down on it. Personally, I really like the lanyard that hooks into the circle on the shirt, but I wish I had gotten a noose style in addition. I don't think I'd wear it most or the time, but if the circle comes off, you then have a backup, and you can use the whistle even when not in your shirt.

Thanks man! :rock

-BR

On 5/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, Stk004 said:

So this is what we sound like when we talk to our friends/family about umpiring..... Interesting. 

My parents think I'm obsessed. But I'm not obsessed, I can stop whenever I want. :nod: LOL

• Like 1