Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
johnnyg08

Infield Fly with a hint of Intentional Drop

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Ball stays live on an intentionally dropped infield fly. Batter is out.  All codes. 

I posted a similar play on FB yesterday from the Angels game.  Heads up call by U1 on the IFF.  These plays happen so quickly and you have so little time to judge if it's a fly ball that can be caught with ordinary effort.  I was assured by many on the play that I posted that it wasn't "high enough" to be considered a fly ball (it wasn't called an IFF in that case).  The ball hit in the OP was lower than the one I posted.

The bottom line.  It was neither a bunt nor a line drive.  It could have been caught with ordinary effort but the fielder chose instead to drop the ball.  BR out on the IFF and R2 out on the tag.

8 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I posted a similar play on FB yesterday from the Angels game.  Heads up call by U1 on the IFF.  These plays happen so quickly and you have so little time to judge if it's a fly ball that can be caught with ordinary effort.  I was assured by many on the play that I posted that it wasn't "high enough" to be considered a fly ball (it wasn't called an IFF in that case).  The ball hit in the OP was lower than the one I posted.

The bottom line.  It was neither a bunt nor a line drive.  It could have been caught with ordinary effort but the fielder chose instead to drop the ball.  BR out on the IFF and R2 out on the tag.

I can't tell if the 2b touched the ball while it was in the air or after it had hit the ground first?  Regardless, I saw U1, U2 and PU all call infield fly.  Camera didn't show if U3 called it.  R1 obviously heard it being called as he went back to first base.

And of course if intentionally/unintentionally dropped on IFFR runner does not have to worry about tagging up at all, if he wants to (gamble the fielder will drop the ball) start running right away. And don't fool for the double up on a throw to second if he is off the bag confused and runs back to second, even if he does not beat the throw, but is not tagged off the base.

Do you get bonus points if you found out Whits father played in the Pirates organization as a shortstop.

8 hours ago, grayhawk said:

It was neither a bunt nor a line drive.

Completely agree. People overthink this. No bunt, no line drive. IFF. Keep it simple. 

Good job by U3 to stay with that tag on R2. It was closer than you'd think, given F5's lackadaisical tag.