Ummmmm

Kevin_K
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1800 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am continually i impressed by the many things I learn on a baseball field. Some are related to baseball rules and others are thins that often leave me dunbfounded.

In today's version of I am an idiot so you must be as well...

Top 5; R2 only; no outs. I am in C. BR hits a shot to RF that is being blown toward the right field line, F9 running to his left makes the catch as R2 tags once the ball is touched. I have dropped deep enough to see R2 on the bag and F9 make the catch. R2 advances on the play. DHC instructs his players to throw the ball to 2B to appeal the runner leaving early. I signal safe. DHC comes out of 3B dugout to talk to me.

The following conversation ensues

" Kev, you didn't have him leaving early?"

"No Jim. That's why I signaled safe."

"But he clearly left early."

"I didn't see it that way Jim."

"How could you possibly see whether or not he left early from where you were?"

"When the ball was hit to right, I dropped back toward the the 3B line so I could have the runner and the fielder in my field of vision."

"There's no way anyone could have seen both at the same time!"

"Even you?"

DHC returned to the dugout.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

I am continually i impressed by the many things I learn on a baseball field. Some are related to baseball rules and others are thins that often leave me dunbfounded.

In today's version of I am an idiot so you must be as well...

Top 5; R2 only; no outs. I am in C. BR hits a shot to RF that is being blown toward the right field line, F9 running to his left makes the catch as R2 tags once the ball is touched. I have dropped deep enough to see R2 on the bag and F9 make the catch. R2 advances on the play. DHC instructs his players to throw the ball to 2B to appeal the runner leaving early. I signal safe. DHC comes out of 3B dugout to talk to me.

The following conversation ensues

" Kev, you didn't have him leaving early?"

"No Jim. That's why I signaled safe."

"But he clearly left early."

"I didn't see it that way Jim."

"How could you possibly see whether or not he left early from where you were?"

"When the ball was hit to right, I dropped back toward the the 3B line so I could have the runner and the fielder in my field of vision."

"There's no way anyone could have seen both at the same time!"

"Even you?"

DHC returned to the dugout.

Let him know we are superior beings.