Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
goody14

Runner leaves early - ball thrown out of play

This is my first year working Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken with the special 60ft running rules.

I understand that when the bases are loaded if a runner leaves early no run can score when the ball stays in the infield (if the batter reaches, we remove the runner on 3rd with no out and no run). But, what is the shortstop throws the ball out of play.

If I were on a field, I would rationalize that the error means the batter gets more than one base - so the runners would as well (basically they can go as far as the batter much like a ball hit to the OF). I would put batter on second, R1 to 3rd and score two runs. Is this right?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

The rule you are looking for can be found on page 13 (in the front matter) of the 2018 Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken rule book:

b. When any base runner leaves the base before the pitched ball has reached home plate and the batter bunts or hits a ball within the infield, no run shall be allowed to score. If three runners were on the bases and the batter reaches first base safely, each runner shall advance to the base beyond the one they occupied at the start of the play except the runner who occupied third base, which runner shall be removed from the base without a run being scored. NOTE: See exception following the rules.

c. When a base runner leaves the base before the pitched ball has reached home plate and the batter hits the ball to the outfield, the base runner or runners are permitted to continue. If a play is made and the runner or runners are put out, the out or outs will stand. If not put out, the runner or runners must return to the original base or bases or to the unoccupied base nearest the one left. In no event shall the batter advance beyond first base on a single or error, second base on a double or third base on a triple. The umpire-in-chief shall determine the base value of the hit ball.

NOTE: When there is a base running violation, the umpire should signal such infraction by indicating a delayed dead ball. EXCEPTION: If at the conclusion of the play there is an open base, paragraphs (a) and (b) will apply.

Man - if we uphold (b) with no exceptions (I think this is what you are trying to get across), then that is one honey of a penalty for leaving early. Of course (b) says if the batter reaches first safely. In my example he would have reached second safely.

I suppose I was wondering if there are a further interpretation to cover the ball out of play. But you are right, without that, it is a ball in the infield and no runner can score. I don't see clause (b) being an exact match.

1 hour ago, goody14 said:

Man - if we uphold (b) with no exceptions (I think this is what you are trying to get across), then that is one honey of a penalty for leaving early. Of course (b) says if the batter reaches first safely. In my example he would have reached second safely.

I suppose I was wondering if there are a further interpretation to cover the ball out of play. But you are right, without that, it is a ball in the infield and no runner can score. I don't see clause (b) being an exact match.

All you need to know is "hit within the infield".  If that happens then the penalty applies. Whatever happens after never happened. 

God bless the ''disappearing' runner rules.

This sounds much like the 7.13 rule in Little League.

The overwhelming guidance is based on the fact that the offense violated a rule and should be penalized.  So if the ball pings around or goes out of play, the batter is still only going to get first base.  All other runners return, except R3 who is retired to the dugout.  He's not out, but he cannot score.  He goes "Poof!"

Yes, it goes against logic that if the defense errs, they should have to deal with the consequences;  but the offense committed a violation before the ball was hit.  They have to suffer.

Mike

Las Vegas