Hoodie under plate coat

sd181612
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1811 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've done games in late march where I wore everything I had brought with me...........mock neck, 2 shirts, jacket, gloves, all the socks that would fit in my shoes, ear band.....you name it........wind chill was just over freezing....if an Evaluator had been in the stands and gigged me for it, I'd take it gladly............( it has been my experience that they dont want to be cold either)  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

It looks weird because there are stripes...but then the sleeves keeps going. It does look weird.

If this wasn’t ever the best argument for getting and using the 2016 panel-style shirts, I don’t know what is! So, stop using the “classic” 2-stripe shirts, and even the 2010 vertical-stripe shirts then...

2 hours ago, Jimurray said:

We have to come up with a de rigueur option for umps that have been told by their dermatologist to wear long sleeve sun protection. Long sleeve shirts are too heavy (made for cooler weather). There are sleeves that can be bought in a close to skin color shade but I'm not sure if their UV claims can be verified. I tried them and can verify that they have a great cooling effect but I still used sunscreen under. I'm not sold on those. So would a tan UV protective undershirt work? 

Personally, I don’t care. I understand the context. We’ve got several guys here in the Valley who are mightily susceptible to sunburn and possible skin damage and need to wear “skin shirts” under their umpire shirts. Black or grey (or navy, if ya just hafta wear that obsolete navy or navy-trimmed shirt!) should be completely acceptable. If you want to get skin-toned, give it a try... there are guys in education and law enforcement and other lines of work that have to (or choose to as best option) wear those sleeves so as to cover or mask tattoos.

Simply said, some People In Authority (PIA’s, or Evaluators) need to start understanding context and reason. Those questions, such as, “Why did you rotate?” or “Why did you make that call? What was your reason?” are important. “Are you wearing that (undershirt) to protect your arms?”, is, or should be, an equally important question!

4 hours ago, JSam21 said:

But the guy/girl that has been doing this for over a decade and hasn't bought a new shirt in 7 years or doesn't have a jacket? That's the person I have the issue with. 

You just described half of the umpires in Wisconsin when I left three years ago. It’s not even a heat/cold/sunburn/frostbite thing! They refuse to buy a new shirt, or an alternate shirt (or pants, for that matter) despite those items being faded, torn, stained, out-of-date, or improperly fitted.

21 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Funny you say that... 88 yesterday, 49 today, 57 tomorrow, 67 Saturday, 80 Sunday...

Ha!  I was thinking that sounds like Missouri weather... didn't think to see where you were from and sure enough... STL. Go Blues.

2 hours ago, Stan W. said:

I've done games in late march where I wore everything I had brought with me...........mock neck, 2 shirts, jacket, gloves, all the socks that would fit in my shoes, ear band.....you name it........wind chill was just over freezing....if an Evaluator had been in the stands and gigged me for it, I'd take it gladly............( it has been my experience that they dont want to be cold either)  

Let's be fair here. No evaluator will be out watching games in that weather. :hi5:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Or..., maybe it's just too much.  A lot of people do this to pay for extra bills - this is my first year umping, and all expenses told I'm at about $900 so far for CP, shoes, shins, masks, pants, tailoring, shirts, hats, state fees, assignor fees, training classes, manuals, etc. It's ridiculous how much it costs to get going, and I know I drew the line at a long sleeve polo.  I do agree though, I just wear a jacket instead, although I find the Smitty 1/2 zip are almost too warm for the plate when it's around 55 and sunny - they don't breathe well - so that could be a good day for the lighter long under-armour type shirt.

All deductible on your taxes if you report your umpire income. Don’t forget mileage if you go to games straight from work 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Richvee said:

All deductible on your taxes if you report your umpire income. Don’t forget mileage if you go to games straight from work 

You sure about that? I think the minimum to claim if you arent one of the four select businesses is around $4000 I think.

35 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Sure, but expenses are still that. The deduction just takes a little of the sting away.

As contractors we can use a Schedule C under the sole proprietorship provision. The mileage deduction doesn't apply only to games, it also applies to preseason training and meetings as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadMax said:

You just described half of the umpires in Wisconsin when I left three years ago. It’s not even a heat/cold/sunburn/frostbite thing! They refuse to buy a new shirt, or an alternate shirt (or pants, for that matter) despite those items being faded, torn, stained, out-of-date, or improperly fitted.

Yep. And because they are more than likely because they are the veterans everybody under them has to suffer the consequences of still wearing the navy blue shirts.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stl_ump said:

Ha!  I was thinking that sounds like Missouri weather... didn't think to see where you were from and sure enough... STL. Go Blues.

GO BLUES from the desert of Coachella Valley.  We need a win at home.

3 hours ago, udbrky said:

I've got a 7PM game. First night game in the school's history. It's 42 now with a 30mph wind.

I may have all my jackets on.

This will be me:onTbgUr.jpg

I've worked games in 20 degrees with spitting snow in Missouri, but the coldest I've ever been on a ball field was like Feb 1998 in the Coachella Valley.   The mountains surrounding the valley were packed with snow and I had the plate with the wind blowing down the back of my neck during a night game.  By the time we got nine innings in I was freezing and shivering uncontrollably.   So, being the good umpire I am for +Pos at the time, I ordered some cold weather gear from them.  I had the dish on the next Saturday and I was going to be prepared.  Saturday arrives and it broke a record for warmest recorded temperature in February.  100 degrees.  Can't win for losing.

Haha, I hate when that happens. I haven't worn my layers that much this year, but when it's been cold, it's been cold. I didn't wear gloves, hate it on the plate, and was ok but when the wind would gust, it was biting.

11 hours ago, AtlUmp said:

As contractors we can use a Schedule C under the sole proprietorship provision. The mileage deduction doesn't apply only to games, it also applies to preseason training and meetings as well.

You also deduct airfare and hotels for conferences scheduled in Orlando in January. The admission to theme parks, however, is usually not so easily claimed 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, umpstu said:

I've worked games in 20 degrees with spitting snow in Missouri, but the coldest I've ever been on a ball field was like Feb 1998 in the Coachella Valley.   The mountains surrounding the valley were packed with snow and I had the plate with the wind blowing down the back of my neck during a night game.  By the time we got nine innings in I was freezing and shivering uncontrollably.   So, being the good umpire I am for +Pos at the time, I ordered some cold weather gear from them.  I had the dish on the next Saturday and I was going to be prepared.  Saturday arrives and it broke a record for warmest recorded temperature in February.  100 degrees.  Can't win for losing.

The real question is, however, did +POS actually deliver the goods?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

The real question is, however, did +POS actually deliver the goods?

This was when +Pos was the bomb.  At one point they were incredible.  They got that order to me in 3 days time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, umpstu said:

This was when +Pos was the bomb.  At one point they were incredible.  They got that order to me in 3 days time.

Feel like when they released the BB2000 chest protector it was the beginning of the end. 

• Like 1

I've worn non-hoodie sweatshirts many a time over my CP and under a jacket. A sweatshirt under a CP strikes me as very uncomfortable. 

Anyone know where he's from? I'm curious because if he's a good New England boy, he will have cut the sleeves off his hoodie. 

7 minutes ago, Sut'n Blue said:

I've worn non-hoodie sweatshirts many a time over my CP and under a jacket. A sweatshirt under a CP strikes me as very uncomfortable. 

Anyone know where he's from? I'm curious because if he's a good New England boy, he will have cut the sleeves off his hoodie. 

Jim wolf is from Southern California 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:59 AM, BT_Blue said:

Back then? Yes. They were the cream of the crop back then.

And I was outfitted top to bottom in +POS gear...........shirts, jackets, pants, Mask, CP, shins and Plate shoes, ball bags, indicators and plate brush.......... I still carry the bb181 plate brush/scraper.......best in the market!    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember back in the 2008 WS, the Phillies and Rays had caps with flip down ear flaps.

https://www.fanatics.com/tampa-bay-rays-new-era-downflap-39thirty-flex-hat-navy/p-24466533142025+z-9047-2264940106

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/sports/baseball/30caps.html

I would love to see an option like this for umpires.

https://www.fifthregionofficials.com/umpire-base-caps/

Umpire base caps by Richardson. Choose 6-stitch short base or 8-stitch long base umpire caps. Navy or black in either wool or mesh. Fitted, flex-fit or adjustable caps. We have umpire caps with ear flaps.

3 hours ago, conbo61 said:

I remember back in the 2008 WS, the Phillies and Rays had caps with flip down ear flaps.

https://www.fanatics.com/tampa-bay-rays-new-era-downflap-39thirty-flex-hat-navy/p-24466533142025+z-9047-2264940106

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/sports/baseball/30caps.html

I would love to see an option like this for umpires.

Check the UMPSCARE Auctions going on right now. They have two different sizes of the Umpire "ear flaps" hats. 

2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

https://www.fifthregionofficials.com/umpire-base-caps/

Umpire base caps by Richardson. Choose 6-stitch short base or 8-stitch long base umpire caps. Navy or black in either wool or mesh. Fitted, flex-fit or adjustable caps. We have umpire caps with ear flaps.

Get one with the PIAA embroidery?