Pinch runner, can u run for a player more than once with out removing him from game

Guest AJONES61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1809 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

10 answers to this question

In high school. You can “pinch run” for the catcher and pitcher any amount of times without removing them from the game. They are called courtesy runners. A courtesy runner can be any player who has not been in the game, and the same person can courtesy run any number of times. The same player cannot run for both the pitcher and catcher. Once that courtesy runner enters the game in any other capacity he can no longer courtesy run, but another eligible player can. 

9 minutes ago, Richvee said:

In high school. You can “pinch run” for the catcher and pitcher any amount of times without removing them from the game. They are called courtesy runners. A courtesy runner can be any player who has not been in the game, and the same person can courtesy run any number of times. The same player cannot run for both the pitcher and catcher. Once that courtesy runner enters the game in any other capacity he can no longer courtesy run, but another eligible player can. 

Not in my neck of the woods... a CR is a sub and must follow all sub rules. Starter can be pulled and reentered once, subs once in and out are done for the game.

7 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

Not in my neck of the woods... a CR is a sub and must follow all sub rules. Starter can be pulled and reentered once, subs once in and out are done for the game.

Yes, it’s a speed up rule that can be adopted by the State Associations . The “rule” and it’s  conditions are in the rule book after rule 10. I’m just suggesting what the poster of the OP may have witnessed. 

23 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Yes, it’s a speed up rule that can be adopted by the State Associations . The “rule” and it’s  conditions are in the rule book after rule 10. I’m just suggesting what the poster of the OP may have witnessed. 

Yep... see it here in non-official HS... but season, the speed up rules have not been adopted.

A player can only be re-entered once.  I have run across coaches who thought you could re-enter a player multiple times as long as you were using a different eligible sub.   That is wrong.

14 hours ago, Richvee said:

Yes, it’s a speed up rule that can be adopted by the State Associations .

I have found that US and Canada do this differently.  Bit of a wtf moment the first time I tried to put in a CR in a US tournament.  

Canada, both softball and baseball, typically the CR is only for the catcher, it's only done with two outs, and it's not a bench player - the player furthest from the catcher in the lineup runs for him/her.  No formal announcement - just a quick "time", run in and out.  DC will quickly verify and question if necessary (and will only care if the runner is really fast and shouldn't be there).   Ensures catcher has time to change pads before start of next inning.   It was quick and easy and most coaches typically just did it most of the time (certain tactical situations aside), even when the CR was slower than the catcher...it truly speeds up the game.

I find the US rule is more about getting bench players into the game than speeding it up - as formalizing and tracking the subs takes back some of that gained time.   I don't mind it for that reason, but rarely used it when we played in the US as, for four straight years, my catcher was the fastest runner on the team.  So, as designed, the rule didn't speed up those games, because I never put in a CR for my catcher, and I wasn't going to go through a sub process to do it.