Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
LRZ

Palm Sunday

I watched an 11 y/o game today and the two umpires were wearing purple. I am certain that both shirts belonged to the PU, one of those guys with a haberdashery shop in his truck, every color imaginable. I'm not religious, so I asked another spectator, "It's not Easter Sunday, is it?" "No," he said, it's "Palm Sunday, Easter is next week."

It's just my opinion, but religious connotations aside, the shirts looked hideous.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I had to check your location, @LRZ, to make sure you're still in Pennsylvania, and not with us here in Arizona... 

I have several variations of color beyond the standard Black and Sky Blue, but nothing as extreme as Purple. Yes, I have Pink, but only wear it on bonafide Cancer Awareness games (Cancer struck very close to home for me). However, I do have colleagues who own and use all those extreme variations... such as Vegas Gold, Texas Orange, and... I'm with you on shaking my head... Purple.

I would ask if maybe they planned to go to a Ren Faire after the game? But then again... only the Queen is allowed to wear purple.

Maybe they just finished officiating a soccer game and forgot a change of shirts.

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

Maybe they just finished officiating a soccer game and forgot a change of shirts.

Of all the colors I have seen soccer officials use. I dont think I have ever seen PURPLE!

I think they have to be a different color than the four uniforms on the field (goalies wear different color). Five different uniform colors - at a minimum.

I'm not understanding where the reference for Purple has anything to do with Easter.  Unless of course you're talking about Easter EGGS!.

Doesn't make sense to me either. Purple is Lent, which includes Palm Sunday. But Palm Sunday itself is red.

If I wore a purple shirt, I'd look like an eggplant.

Unfortunately for us multi sport officials, @Jimurray, soccer is the one where a Black shirt is the least desired color. TPTB actually want you to stand out, especially in amateur soccer, because otherwise you get run into or passed to if you’re in a dark color close to one of the teams, or on a night game.