Why wear a throat guard?

wwsodeputy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1805 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello everyone.  I'm looking into getting a +POS Zero G frame and adding Team Wendy pads to it(I know about the issues with getting items from +POS but I'm willing to wait/take a chance on that).  My question for the board is other than looks, why would I add a throat guard to the mask.  Aren't the bars on the mask already sufficient?  When I'm in my stance, the metal guard on the mask ends up over my protector so that it doesn't feel like there is a gap in between.  If convinced that a throat guard is needed, suggestions about which one will go good with that mask?  I like the Samurai Gears model.  

Thanks!!

Scott 

29 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

I was debating too - thanks for posting that - it seals the decision for me to keep using the 6" Champro!

My first HS scrimmage the pitcher bounced a curveball in front of the plate, hit me in the bottom of my jaw bone. Been wearing one ever since.

• Like 1

Damage to the throat is no joke. It can be devastating. Why risk it? It's the best $4 piece of equipment you'll ever own....and some day it may be the most important.  I've had 2 balls bounce up and clang of my throat protector. 

• Like 5

I've got personal reasons as well.  I took a foul ball to the throat my first season of high school ball.  Catcher never touched it.  My old mask had a throat extension.  However, in my stance, there was enough room for a ball to get through.  I felt it graze the bottom of my mask just before impact.  The only thing between me and a trip to the ER (or worse) was the little foam baffle at the top of my chest protector.  Had a knot in my throat for the next couple of hours.  Just buy one.  You're welcome.

@Thatsnotyou, I also used to play men's league hockey.  During my last season, I showed up for a game to hear that a player on another team was in emergency surgery after a deflected puck to the eye.  They weren't able to save it.  Horrible way to learn a lesson.  I wore a visor once....until my own teammate hit me in the face with his stick.

20 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

A throat guard isn't NEEDED. But if it makes you feel more comfortable working back there. Then get one. 

I personally am a fan of the standard 6" throat guard. But I sprung for the Samurai Gears one.

BINGO @BT_Blue as far as the OP @wwsodeputy let me ask you this question. When you are in your stance, the bar covers the cp right? I believe that is what was written. However, if the catcher comes up and we look up slightly are we still protected? I'm not 100% sure. That is the answer each umpire has to answer for themselves. I don't need one because of my stance but when that catcher pops up I want it there to be safe.

15 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Until someone can produce evidence that having a throat guard is less safe, then I will always wear one.

This actually is the best answer yet!!!

On a person note... I didnt wear one for the longest time. I have never had much lean in my stance and I dont have a very long neck. So the masks I had, plus my trusty WV Gold always seemed like enough.

That is, until I took one off my mask that busted the weld on the extension of my old Diamond Featherweight frame. I had three choices. Replace it, fix it, or chop it and get a throat guard. I always liked the Marquez look. So I sprung for a Kubota Spyder and sent my mask to Tony to get powdercoated and chopped (though I wish I had not had him cut off the top extension). Heck, I liked the look so much, I did the UNTHINKABLE and cut a Nike! Now I have what I think is my favorite setup thanks to So!

@LineyNinja good question and honestly I didn't think of that situation until you put it in my head.  Thank you all for the comments.  I am definitely going to get a throat guard to go with the setup I mentioned in the OP.  I'm still leaning towards the Samurai Gears guard however the other thread on here about the broken one has me a little concerned.   

9 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

This actually is the best answer yet!!!

On a person note... I didnt wear one for the longest time. I have never had much lean in my stance and I dont have a very long neck. So the masks I had, plus my trusty WV Gold always seemed like enough.

That is, until I took one off my mask that busted the weld on the extension of my old Diamond Featherweight frame. I had three choices. Replace it, fix it, or chop it and get a throat guard. I always liked the Marquez look. So I sprung for a Kubota Spyder and sent my mask to Tony to get powdercoated and chopped (though I wish I had not had him cut off the top extension). Heck, I liked the look so much, I did the UNTHINKABLE and cut a Nike! Now I have what I think is my favorite setup thanks to So!

So now that you've chopped a Nike are you one of the cool kids?  Chopping a Nike is a gateway to tobacco and diet coke.  Be careful out there.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

So now that you've chopped a Nike are you one of the cool kids?  Chopping a Nike is a gateway to tobacco and diet coke.  Be careful out there.

I'm not worried. I already did the tobacco thing once. And Diet Cole is NASTY!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I'm not worried. I already did the tobacco thing once. And Diet Cole is NASTY!

Man, until a few years ago I was a Diet Pepsi kind of guy.  Then we started using one of our coaches hs classrooms to conduct meetings, etc. and he had a fridge under his desk with Diet Coke in it.  So I would hit up his stash and became hooked.  It wound up costing me as I would usually bring a case of Diet Coke for his fridge.  Now I can't stop drinking the stuff.  And I try to find restaurants that serve Diet Coke.  And thank God for Circle K.  As far as tobacco goes, what were we thinking?  That's the nasty thing. YUK!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the same thing...........didn't need one said I,  didnt like the way it looked said I ,.........until I did.........I have the same rig, +POS Zero G, (ditched the Team Wendys,) went back to the doeskin leather pads........and a throat guard.........

• Like 1