Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
jms1425

Appeal during a dead ball (NOT a "dead ball appeal")

NCAA rules (i.e. no dead ball appeals)

While the ball is dead, the defense attempts to make an appeal ("runner left early" or "runner missed the base"whatever - the play is immaterial to this question).

Does the umpire responsible for the call a) make a "soft" safe signal (not indicating judgment on the playing action, but denying the appeal, without saying he is denying the appeal), or say something like "the ball is dead" and making no signal or further comment?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

This Umpire would say that the ball is not in play.

• Like 2

I simply say "you can't appeal if the ball is dead".

• Like 2

NCAA is college rules, right. These are grown men who should know the rules about proper appeals, I would think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mussgrass said:

NCAA is college rules, right. These are grown men who should know the rules about proper appeals, I would think. 

I nominate this post for U-E's Joke of the Year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, yawetag said:

I nominate this post for U-E's Joke of the Year.

Sorry, I was not trying to be funny!

1 hour ago, Mussgrass said:

Sorry, I was not trying to be funny!

That's why it was.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Thanks, all. I'm trying to figure out where the one guy who contended the "soft safe signal" got that from. So far, no luck (on here and in other conversations.) I thought maybe from pro ball, but other (former) pro guys have said the "ball's dead, guys" statement is the way to go.

Oh well... Thanks for the input, guys.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Blueclay
      Here is the situation that happened last night during my sons little league game.

We were the visiting team
      Home team was batting
      Bases were loaded and one out
      Batter then swings on what he thought was a dropped third strike, but it was only the second strike.  Batter then runs to first.  Catcher throws the ball to first as he himself was confused at this time.  First baseman catches ball and now has two men at first; the runner that was on first and the batter that ran to first on the second strike.  The other baserunners then ran home during the confusion.  The runs counted and then the umpire had the batter come back and finish his at bat.
      Question #1:  Can you have two men on one base?
      Question #2:  How was this not called a dead ball as the runner only had two strikes?
      Statement #1:  If this is allowed, then why would I not teach my kids to do the same and just have then run on the first or second strike, confusing the defense, score a couple of runs and then have my kid go back home and finish his at bat?

Thanks,
      Brett
    • By basejester
      Little League Major Softball tournament.  Ball is dead.  Defense wishes to appeal a runner missed home.  Coaches are yelling instructions regarding the appeal process across the field.  Offensive coach tells his batter to swing if it's a strike.  Pitcher toes the rubber.  Home plate umpire puts the ball in play.
        Pitcher steps off and then moves about 3' to her left of the rubber and throws the ball overhand toward home.  (None of the players speak during the play.) The catcher moves forward toward the pitcher.  The ball comes in near the outside corner of the plate.   The batter swings at the ball and hits the catcher's mitt and hand.  The catcher is unable to catch the ball.  No runners attempt to advance.  Home plate umpire calls time for injured catcher.   What's your ruling?
    • By LMSANS
      Opening day is tomorrow for NJ HS.  Here is part of an email from our association interpreter, a very opinionated individual...
      We do not go to our partner on a check swing because the coach has requested it.  We can go to our partner IMMEDIATELY if needed.  We all must be consistent in this mechanic all the time.  Coaches have told me and umpires that some umpires still go when requested by coach.  Please stop that and be consistent and the coaches will understand better and not ask.
      While I know that we are not required to in HS, but I have always done it as long as the coach hasn't been a d!ck about it.

• By MadMax
      R1, R2, 1 out. OT has been running the bases like a merry-go-round for the past inning, and has racked up 5 runs. 1B to 3B, 2B to plate, the works.
      Towering fly ball to F8. Flat sky, so nearly everybody loses sight of it (this umpire, as PU, included), but figure it has to be somewhere towards centerfield. R2 figures that, based on F8's previous body of botched catch attempts work, he'll take his chances and reaches 3B and rounds it towards HP. R1 follows suit, and is nearly to 2B when F8 actually... holy crap how'd he find it?... catches it. "Catch!" voices my BU.
      Now panic ensues. R1 taps on R2 (never breaks the plane of it, just touches on the front edge), then retreats to 1B in a mad dash while F8 throws a... oh no... pond-skipper to F3, who can't field it cleanly and can't secure it before R1 arrives at 1B, touches it, then at the pleading of his coaches and fans heads to 2B (it turns out, these pleas and promptings were to R2 to return to 2B). While this is going on, R2 suddenly figures out he has to head back and tag up, so retouches 3B, and heads back towards 2B. F3 now throws to 2B, but R1 has already "safely" arrived there, and is sitting on it after sliding into it. F6 catches throw with his foot on the bag, and then tags R1.
      Who is (technically) out?
      FWIW, we called R2 out on the touch of 2B by F6 in possession of the ball. I made a point of saying, "That (point at) runner is out!" Was there an out sooner that we missed? Is R2 the one who is the third out or is R1 the third out?
    • By Mister B
      While reading the LL rule book, I try to come up with scenarios to confound them. It's LL the more you think it can't happen, the more likely it is to happen.
      First situation, B hits and heads for first hard. F3 has his foot on top of the base, covering most of it. BR would have been safe but jumps over/goes around the base to avoid an injury. Would you call obstruction? Is it obstruction? 
      Second situation, 1 out runners at 1B and 2B. A hit to deep right, for a triple with R1 and R2 scoring. R1 missed touching 2B. DT appeals by touching 2B and calling that he's out. R1 is out and his run is removed. I'm thinking that nothing happens with R2 or BR because R2 was out before they passed him. Am I correct? 
      Same situation but with 2 outs. R1 is out by force upon the appeal, therefore no runs are scored. Correct? 
      Thanks. I guessing that regardless of the appeal the out occurs when it should have happened, not upon appeal.