Oh my. I beg to differ.

Kevin_K
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1823 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Neither. I’ve never called a runner safe and had him walk away saying “nah, I was out. “

Never had a deflected batted ball hit a base runner. 

Kudos to the Cubs broadcast team for knowing the rule. Len Kasper probably the the best rules guy in broadcasting. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LMSANS said:

That's not really a glowing endorsement.

Len does a really good job of being knowledgeable and not a total homer. If the play goes against the Cubs, he doesn't lament that it was a bad call usually. He stays abreast of a lot in baseball and is a really knowledgeable guy about music as well. I really like listening to him. Benetti from the White Sox is really good too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LMSANS said:

That's not really a glowing endorsement.

Granted, the competition among his peers is minimal.  But he has a real good rules knowledge. If he's unsure of a rule, he will say as much on the air and look it up. He doesn't try to pretend he knows a rule and give his audience false info. He'll get facts first. ..He's a good twitter follow as well.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, udbrky said:

Benetti from the White Sox is really good too. 

Sitting next to Hawk, anyone is good.

Looks like ol' Harrelson retired after last year. He gone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, udbrky said:

I was working solo last week and had a close play at 2B on a pickoff and I thought he got his foot in and the dude walked away so I went with it.

In the business, we like to call that "timing". Lol

• Like 2

12 hours ago, udbrky said:

Len does a really good job of being knowledgeable and not a total homer. If the play goes against the Cubs, he doesn't lament that it was a bad call usually. He stays abreast of a lot in baseball and is a really knowledgeable guy about music as well. I really like listening to him. Benetti from the White Sox is really good too. 

I consider myself pretty lucky. Being a Giants fan with the four-headed-beast that is John Miller and the guys for the Giants, most of the crew up this way in Seattle (Rick Rizz is really good), Ted Lightner in San Diego, and of course Vin Scully (I CAN'T bring myself to even listen to Dodger games... it doesnt feel right) in LA when he was around.

In these days of replay, if the runner knows he was tagged, he might as well walk away. This case is a great example, because the first tag was going to obviously show up on replay as a tag.

Notice how the fielder makes the tag but then tags a second time. This tells the umpire that he must have olay'ed the first tag, which explains the safe call.

Also, once he starts to abandon, was there any need to tag? Anyone remember the play last year where the runner thought he was out, and started to run back to his dugout and then decided to stay at first?