Ejections. Ejections Everywhere...

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1806 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I must have jinxed myself in previous posts here, b/c in one afternoon I threw out 4 people. :smachhead:

EJ 1:

Late in the game, I safe a whacker at 1B, VHC comes out and starts off calm and collected, gets a little upset that I won't go for help. He starts walking away and then changes his mind and yells "that's f@$!ing horrible!" at me across the field. Easy EJ. Best part: as he's leaving apparently he decided to brag to the team waiting for the next game about how he got his money's worth out of that EJ. Keep in mind the entire interaction lasted about 2 min. The waiting team's coaches used to be HS HCs and thought that was hilarious. :D

EJ 2/3:

A few games later, late in game, batter corkscrews himself into the ground trying to pull up on a curveball, so I call it for strike 3. HC loses his mind and runs down the line screaming (with voice cracks lol) about how horrible that was. I restrict him, since he had already been warned about leaving the coaching box and running down the line to yell at me. He asks me what restricted means and I tell him it means he's in timeout in the dugout (<- that was a bad move, I know. I was starting to lose it with this guy and his entitled team. Should've kept the smart-ass remarks to myself.) Then he tells me to go F myself and one of the ACs comes out of the dugout to give his profanity-laced opinion about my performance that game. I run thwm and partner rodeos them away. TD apparently booted them from the tourney, since that was the second time they've done something like that.

EJ 4:

Last game of the day, new partner, some daddy wasn't happy with my partner's strikezone and was out of control with the personal insults. My partner was another HS kid who is good on mechanics and accuracy, but gets a bit intimidated by the coaches and parents and sort of just shuts down and ignores everything when it needs to be dealt with. In between innings I told him to go to that HC and tell him to deal with it if it doesn't stop. Daddy starts up again, so partner goes and talks to the HC. HC goes over and gets him to calm down. A few innings later, partner perfectly executes the wedge on a play at the plate and calls the runner safe. Daddy throws a tantrum in the stands and my partner kicks him out. I go tell HC that the dad needs to go and he says that it's off the field so it's not his problem. Daddy is still throwing a fit, so I give the HC one last opportunity to fix it, he refuses, so I run him too.

I know I screwed the pooch getting snarky in the heat of the moment on that one EJ, but did I handle the rest of these appropriately given it was 11u under FED?

-BR

Oh, and I got to use the "who ARE you?" line on a rec ball AC who wanted to argue with me yesterday, and the look on his face was worth a few game fees, so thanks to whoever posted that! 

_11U_?!?!?!

Eleven?! Ee-leh-ven???

Wow. At least the TD’s stayed firm on your EJ’s.

The only question / feedback I have is on your first EJ. Why was he safe? What was his question, and what was your response? If he beat the ball there, then that’s it, end of discussion. You described it as a “whacker”, so it implies it wasn’t an issue of pulled foot or swipe tag.

Travel-Tournament ball coaches (especially of the “bargain”-ball variety alá USSSA or TripleCrown can be) will often attempt to steamroll umpires, goading them into going “for help”. They’re either trying to bait the umpire into saying they guessed or missed something, or they are gambling that the other umpire will overrule the calling one on seniority or because he wants Outs, and this game to be over with as quickly as possible. To a request for “help”, I would answer with “For what?”. Force them (the coach) to be specific. If they’re just fishing, then I’ll emphasize that we (be collective, as a body of umpires) would only go for help on a swipe tag attempt or a possible pulled foot – this was neither; the runner beat the ball.

• Like 1

/Calls real estate agent and asks how big a bath we'd take, selling and leaving inside twelve months.....

/Gets answer, sighs deeply....

So, I don't know where this "Somewhere in Texas" is at, but you're not exactly filling me with a lot of confidence at the upcoming tournament/travel ball season.  Not that I'm going to shy away, but I'm more concerned my rotator cuffs won't hold up under all the ejection motions, or that my carpal tunnel will flair back up on my report-writing wrist.  (And I'm ALSO concerned about my responses - post-cancer-HokieUmp seems to be losing what few filters he had, which is something that should concern a LOT of people.)

I LOVE the way you wrote this, because the twist ending - that it was 11U - had me genuinely surprised.  Well done.

I'm already a little surprised at how tightly people are wound for HS ball here - not that Virginia was a always a model of genteel behavior - so I'm bracing myself for the rest of it.  For what it's worth, I'm down with the way you dealt, to INCLUDE the snarky line.  I hope that when you told him it was a "time out," you had the proper sarcastic tone with it.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 12:30 AM, BlueRanger said:

I must have jinxed myself in previous posts here, b/c in one afternoon I threw out 4 people. :smachhead:

EJ 1:

Late in the game, I safe a whacker at 1B, VHC comes out and starts off calm and collected, gets a little upset that I won't go for help. He starts walking away and then changes his mind and yells "that's f@$!ing horrible!" at me across the field. Easy EJ. Best part: as he's leaving apparently he decided to brag to the team waiting for the next game about how he got his money's worth out of that EJ. Keep in mind the entire interaction lasted about 2 min. The waiting team's coaches used to be HS HCs and thought that was hilarious. :D

EJ 2/3:

A few games later, late in game, batter corkscrews himself into the ground trying to pull up on a curveball, so I call it for strike 3. HC loses his mind and runs down the line screaming (with voice cracks lol) about how horrible that was. I restrict him, since he had already been warned about leaving the coaching box and running down the line to yell at me. He asks me what restricted means and I tell him it means he's in timeout in the dugout (<- that was a bad move, I know. I was starting to lose it with this guy and his entitled team. Should've kept the smart-ass remarks to myself.) Then he tells me to go F myself and one of the ACs comes out of the dugout to give his profanity-laced opinion about my performance that game. I run thwm and partner rodeos them away. TD apparently booted them from the tourney, since that was the second time they've done something like that.

EJ 4:

Last game of the day, new partner, some daddy wasn't happy with my partner's strikezone and was out of control with the personal insults. My partner was another HS kid who is good on mechanics and accuracy, but gets a bit intimidated by the coaches and parents and sort of just shuts down and ignores everything when it needs to be dealt with. In between innings I told him to go to that HC and tell him to deal with it if it doesn't stop. Daddy starts up again, so partner goes and talks to the HC. HC goes over and gets him to calm down. A few innings later, partner perfectly executes the wedge on a play at the plate and calls the runner safe. Daddy throws a tantrum in the stands and my partner kicks him out. I go tell HC that the dad needs to go and he says that it's off the field so it's not his problem. Daddy is still throwing a fit, so I give the HC one last opportunity to fix it, he refuses, so I run him too.

I know I screwed the pooch getting snarky in the heat of the moment on that one EJ, but did I handle the rest of these appropriately given it was 11u under FED?

-BR

Oh, and I got to use the "who ARE you?" line on a rec ball AC who wanted to argue with me yesterday, and the look on his face was worth a few game fees, so thanks to whoever posted that! 

Running down the line screaming about balls and strikes = no warning. I'm running him for that. 

Ehh it happens to the best of us. Just have to work harder on biting your tongue. 

Good job in having your partners back especially when that partner is a newer teenage umpire. As someone who was that newer teenage umpire, trust me its appreciated.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

/Calls real estate agent and asks how big a bath we'd take, selling and leaving inside twelve months.....

/Gets answer, sighs deeply....

So, I don't know where this "Somewhere in Texas" is at, but you're not exactly filling me with a lot of confidence at the upcoming tournament/travel ball season.  Not that I'm going to shy away, but I'm more concerned my rotator cuffs won't hold up under all the ejection motions, or that my carpal tunnel will flair back up on my report-writing wrist.  (And I'm ALSO concerned about my responses - post-cancer-HokieUmp seems to be losing what few filters he had, which is something that should concern a LOT of people.)

I LOVE the way you wrote this, because the twist ending - that it was 11U - had me genuinely surprised.  Well done.

I'm already a little surprised at how tightly people are wound for HS ball here - not that Virginia was a always a model of genteel behavior - so I'm bracing myself for the rest of it.  For what it's worth, I'm down with the way you dealt, to INCLUDE the snarky line.  I hope that when you told him it was a "time out," you had the proper sarcastic tone with it.

I'm in DFW, but the SH*# only gets crazier down South from what I've heard. HS ball is like spring football for a lot of people if that helps with perspective. Everybody hates soccer unless their kid plays it, so softball/baseball are the "community" spring sports for a lot of HS'. I'm glad you like my writing style lol, feel free to let my English professor know! 

Unfortunately, stuff like this is kinda regular for me, mainly b/c I don't give long leashes, have an itchy trigger finger, and seem to attract the nutjobs with my magnetic personality. :P I punch the ticket where I have to and then start the rat race to the parking lot. I actually get immense satisfaction from dumping people. It's always nice to know that I'm leaving an area better than I found it. 

What part of TX you in?

-BR

11 hours ago, BlueRanger said:

I'm in DFW, but the SH*# only gets crazier down South from what I've heard.

What part of TX you in?

Oy.  Well, I'm living in the "crazier" part, from what you just told me - San Antonio.

I'm still wrapping my head around Texas and its HS sports thing.  Having fans at games, and charging admission to games, spins my head.  And coaches seem to be a little more personal, or nasty, or something, when they are unhappy.  Not crossing the line initially, but it's like they want to head for the line quicker.  Maybe Virginians really ARE more genteel and cultured than other parts of the South.

(I also acknowledge - before anyone jumps in - that no small part of what I'm seeing is the "hey, we got fresh meat" thing, since I'm seeing all these places for the first time.)

Welcome to Texas @HokieUmp. I just got back and couldn't be happier. There really is some fantastic baseball here.

I'm in the DFW area too @BlueRanger. Just moved back a month ago.

All of your ejections are good in my book. Good job trying to get the HC to handle the bad parent. There is a reason I don't call those age groups anymore and its the parents. You don't see it quite as badly in the HS ranks luckily.

13 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

@HokieUmp Virginia is ONLY considered the South because of which side of the Manson-Nixon line it happened to be.

I might suggest their secssion in 1861 would be a stronger indicator. Maryland is south of the line. Very few consider Maryland part of the South.