Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Aging_Arbiter

AED units

Hey folks, I know I post many things on here that SWMBO does/says etc., but I feel this worth mentioning as it may be beneficial to some of your local organizations.  As the UIC for my local LL for 15 of the last 20 years, SWMBO stepped up to run concessions this year.  She is also helping our Safety person, who has been on deployments and in training.  SWMBO went out and got seven (yes 7) AED units donated to our LL organization.  We have 1 at each of our fields now.  Last evening, one of those units had to be used.  While initially, one thinks about catchers taking a foul ball to the chest, pitchers to the chest, etc., this was a dad coaching Tee Ball.  He collapsed during a game.  There happened to be 2 nurses at that game.  One started CPR, and the other retrieved the AED.  After one cycle of CPR, and one shock from the AED, his heart beat and breathing returned.  He was talking to the EMT's loading him into the ambulance.  My contention is that I am "self proclaimed" FIFTY TWO and FAT and  that very well could have been me that dropped.  If at all possible, I encourage you to make mention of this to your local organizations and ask them to acquire an AED for the field.

You never know when the life that is saved may be yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Watch your calibrations on these units.  Check your manual many have to be redone on an annual basis (end of the season and calibration maybe an expense to the league).  That being said so glad it was their when needed  

On top of that, nothing beats having trained individuals. Talk to your local Red Cross and see what it would take to get your umpires trained in CPR and AED use. If all your umpires are trained, then you'll always have at least one trained person on each field.

One of the umpires in our association was saved by the use of an AED this season.  Luckily, the trainer had the AED, the base umpire is a retired firefighter, and there was also a California Highway Patrol officer in the stands.  He was sitting up and conscious before the paramedics arrived, though he doesn't remember that part.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Radwaste50 said:

Watch your calibrations on these units.

(Joking) – That may be a local thing for you, @Radwaste50... you know, from all the... stuff floatin’ around New Mexico.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Hey folks, I know I post many things on here that SWMBO does/says etc., but I feel this worth mentioning as it may be beneficial to some of your local organizations.  

I'm sure this a regular series, but this is the second one in just a day or two that I specifically remember.  It leads me say:  Dude, you married up.

Hey folks.  Here it is.  It just aired last evening on local (Harrisburg, PA) news.

https://www.abc27.com/sports/dillsburg-little-league-s-aeds-save-a-life/1934985236

**spoiler alert** I am the large shadowy object holding the outfield gate open at about 0:25, and SWMBO is in the red shirt during the video clips. 

• Like 1