Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gfoley4

3 man mechanics missed “slide” rotation

Recommended Posts


Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Seeing Hamari looking back as he's departing 2nd. Good for him otherwise he'd be making that call from way way away...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind they were down an umpire, too. As @Jimurray said, it was a brain fart on Cuzzi. He forgot he didn't have a U2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yawetag said:

Keep in mind they were down an umpire, too. As @Jimurray said, it was a brain fart on Cuzzi. He forgot he didn't have a U2.

But that shouldn't really affect anything should it? Let's say the hit is in the air and U2 goes out for a potential diving grab or something like that, but the runner stead it dropping. Cuzzi would have the same exact responsibilities, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biscuit said:

But that shouldn't really affect anything should it? Let's say the hit is in the air and U2 goes out for a potential diving grab or something like that, but the runner stead it dropping. Cuzzi would have the same exact responsibilities, right?

Not with R1/R2. U2 would be inside and would have no outfield fly ball responsibilities. On this grounder, U2 would watch 2B only.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 11:26 AM, Jimurray said:

Cuzzi had a brain fart. I know how that feels. Hamari tried to fill in but didn't get a good look. Reversed on replay.

 

Slide.jpg

Does this go under Hamari's stats/analytics for the year or Cuzzi''s stats for the year for both MLBU post season opportunities and the CCS website stats? And, if the manager were to argue rather than request replay should Cuzzi come over quickly to take over such an arguement? What are the mechanics? Just let Hammarin Hamari suffer and be left out to dry. How about in non professional players ball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Hamari, it's a plus. He showed a lot more in hustle and reaction than the missed call would have canceled out. Any evaluator looks at this and praises him for realizing Cuzzi's mistake and covering it. For Cuzzi, it's a negative. He missed his rotation and forced another umpire to cover for him. Looks bad.

But, as I said before, this was a strange situation. If I were evaluating, I'd coach Cuzzi on remembering his rotation, but I wouldn't knock them at all for it. If this were something missed on 4-man, sure - but these guys don't work a lot of strict 3-man anymore (Hamari's the most-recent to have done it with any frequency).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yawetag said:

(Hamari's the most-recent to have done it with any frequency).

And even THAT has been, what, five or so years since he was working AAA call-up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

And even THAT has been, what, five or so years since he was working AAA call-up?

And 4 man in Spring Training now days in which they use to work 3. That was the old reality check every year in case a crew member went down in a game during the regular season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

And 4 man in Spring Training now days in which they use to work 3. That was the old reality check every year in case a crew member went down in a game during the regular season.

This is kind of a catch-22, as well. They would get reps in 3-man which they don't usually work, but also get reps for guys less-experienced in the 4-man system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I have this right? The umpire who started inside at C is "U3" for purposes of this thread? And with a base hit, he's got plays on R1 at 2nd and 3rd bases, R2 at 3rd base, and BR at 3rd base? And all U1 has to get right is to follow the batter runner into second for this play? PU stays home, but has the touch of R1 at third base? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vumpire said:

The umpire who started inside at C is "U3" for purposes of this thread?

Not just for purposes of this thread... he is U3. 3-man crew, U3's IP with no runners on is D (beyond 3B). His opposite colleague is U1, obviously with IP at A (just like BU in 2-man). There are two absolutes:

  • Any time there is a R1, U1 is in A.
  • Any time there are 2 outs, U1 is in A.

Thus, with R1 and R2, U3's IP is C.

15 minutes ago, Vumpire said:

And with a base hit, he's got plays on R1 at 2nd and 3rd bases, R2 at 3rd base, and BR at 3rd base?

Yes. The only exception to this is if there is a fly ball with a Double Tag possibility. With a Double Tag, U3 is staying put, while PU is coming up to 3B to take R2 advancing to 3B. But with a base hit, as you mentioned, all three of those scenarios are valid. With a R2, PU must stay Home (with the Double Tag being the only exception), so any movements of the Base Umpires are now going to be either a reversion to 2-man (if U1 reads trouble ball down the RFL, and goes out), or a Push/Slide.

20 minutes ago, Vumpire said:

And all U1 has to get right is to follow the batter runner into second for this play? PU stays home, but has the touch of R1 at third base? 

Yes, but I will argue semantics with you. There is alot more to it than "get right". One of the critical components of this is to read the play as it develops, read your partners, and react accordingly. As U1, you are the trigger man on this upcoming Push/Slide (it's your BR's commitment to 2B that makes this happen), and you're the one vocalizing the movement. Your dash in should be done not only reading the touch of 1B by BR, but also anticipating as to if he's going to try for 2B or retreat to 1B. Either way, your announcement of "Push! Push!" (or "Slide!") to your U3 allows him to release 2B and move more towards 3B. Keep in mind you do this only when BR commits to 2B. Sure, you can anticipate this, and dash in, setting yourself up for either of those potential actions by the BR, but what's going to allow you to do this best? Knowing where the ball is! And for this, we want to go chest-to-ball as much as absolutely possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 5:25 PM, Vumpire said:

Do I have this right? The umpire who started inside at C is "U3" for purposes of this thread? And with a base hit, he's got plays on R1 at 2nd and 3rd bases, R2 at 3rd base, and BR at 3rd base? And all U1 has to get right is to follow the batter runner into second for this play? PU stays home, but has the touch of R1 at third base? 

for the purposes of everything.. Pu ( plate Umpire ) U1 ( 1stbase umpire ) U3 ( 3rd base umpire) and U2 ( 2nd base umpire )  in the 3 umpire system U3 is and always will be U3

 

but the rest of your scenario is right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×