Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
johnnyg08

What do you think happened here?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I don't think they purposely slicked him (her?), either. F4 didn't think she could make the play, so kept the ball. U1 just got bamboozled.

Would love to see how that played out after the call. PU is coming up the line, so he (she?) would have had a great angle on the no-throw.

Poor mechanics by U1. Looks like he's just standing there, not even in any type of ready position to watch the play.

I was very surprised to see this at the Division 1 level. Mistakes like this happen, but they're just very rare at that level. 

Honestly, I think he snapped his eyes to the bag before actually seeing the release of the throw/toss.  Once he took his eye off the ball, he could only assume the play would be made.  And that didn't turn out so well for him.

Watching the bag, listening for the ball, right?  Does F3 slap the glove - else, for what other reason does U1 make this call?

F3 definitely makes a motion that would normally indicate her catching the ball. Whether or not there was a slap to make a sound, I can't tell.

From the looks of it, the weather wasn't the best. My guess is that all close plays were outs for U1.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:33 PM, SJA said:

1st & 2nd slicked the Ump and HE WASN"T PAYING ATTENTION!!:ZZZ:

I'll repeat myself . . . I've personally seen this "slick" done in Senior SB. . . Players, and Coaches, are "in tune" to Umps that are "bored" or inattentive during games and will if possible take advantage of "testing" Umps attentiveness. Nothing  to lose on a try :-)