batter interference

grozzly
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1822 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

OBR. 2-men system. French elite game.
Situation: R1, no outs.
I'm PU. R1 stealing with the batter swinging. The batter swings & miss, and interferes with the catcher's throw to 2nd base. I call the interference and let the play go on as the throw goes to 2nd. But the runner gets into a rundown, and is retired.
The pbuc says that the throw must retire the runner "directly", but OBR just say that if the runner is retired by the throw, we must ignore the interference.

My question: should i have enforce the interference as the runner has been caught in a rundown or should i've let the play stand wtih batter back at bat and runner out on the rundown?

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder manual (p. 98):

If the catcher throws and the batter interferes but the throw directly results in retiring the runner, the ball remains live and the interference is disregarded. If the catcher has attempted to throw, but is unable to do so, or his throw does not immediately retire the runner being played against (causes a rundown or goes wild, or the runner played upon is safe), the ball is dead. The batter is out for his interference, and all runners must return to their last base legally touched before the interference. (6.03a-3 Comment)

So, when the throw does not directly retire the runner, enforce the interference by calling the batter out and return all runners to their TOP base.

;);) very funny ^^

The level in France is not that bad as you could think. Elite is the "highest level..." in category senior. There are some good pitchers above 85mph (1 or 2 90mph+). Each of the 12 teams have imports from the US, Venezuela, Dominican Rep.....to elevate their level and play European cups. For the US pitchers who come in France for the season, some played at NCAA level, A, or AA. 
I would say that for an amateur umpire like me, it's incredible to have the dish on such pitchers. 

On 4/1/2019 at 2:37 AM, grozzly said:

OBR. 2-men system. French elite game.
Situation: R1, no outs.
I'm PU. R1 stealing with the batter swinging. The batter swings & miss, and interferes with the catcher's throw to 2nd base. I call the interference and let the play go on as the throw goes to 2nd. But the runner gets into a rundown, and is retired.
The pbuc says that the throw must retire the runner "directly", but OBR just say that if the runner is retired by the throw, we must ignore the interference.

My question: should i have enforce the interference as the runner has been caught in a rundown or should i've let the play stand wtih batter back at bat and runner out on the rundown?

Your interpretation of the PBUC manual is correct. Stop and enforce the BI when the initial throw does not retire the runner.