Samurai Throat Guard

codizzle
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1807 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:43 AM, AtlUmp said:

After contacting him and sending him some additional pictures So is contacting the factory to investigate the issue and he said he will keep me updated. The other thing he said is that his is designed to be 3mm thick or 20% thicker than the original Mizuno.

I've held both the original and this newer version and can attest it feels thicker to me too. The reason I didn't keep the original was I was afraid it would break too.  They seem much thinner than other TG's in my opinion.

Mizuno is ABS Samari is poly carbonate

Both are good but I am thinking the ABS will have more flex when impacted.

Might be one of those perfect shots and the Samari did the job

Not a fan of the screws used and mine will be getting new Chicago screws

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Razzer said:

Love the Chicago screws!   I hate using wrenches to put on/off TG's.

3 hours ago, Razzer said:

There was a rumor you were manufacturing your own copy of the shovel - is this true?  If so, are you using ABS or polycarbonate?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Razzer said:

Will Chicago Screws hold up better than the nut-bolt system on there now? I dont mind or care about the nut-bolt since I dont plan to pull it off the mask any time soon. 

13 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Will Chicago Screws hold up better than the nut-bolt system on there now? I dont mind or care about the nut-bolt since I dont plan to pull it off the mask any time soon. 

They will hold up very well and they will be safer...Think hockey helmet

35 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

There was a rumor you were manufacturing your own copy of the shovel - is this true?  If so, are you using ABS or polycarbonate?

Not a rumor, i am working on it. We are testing 3D PRINTING and considering paying a mold charge for injection molding.

New Plate Brush is also in the works

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Razzer said:

Not a rumor, i am working on it. We are testing 3D PRINTING and considering paying a mold charge for injection molding.

Great... more things for me to "kick the tires on." Lol

Thanks for the idea on the Chicago Screws. 

7 hours ago, Razzer said:

Where does one go about obtaining umplife products? Do you have a website? 

I saw the picture of the broken samurai guard. My mask is a mizuno and I want to use the samurai on it but I am afraid a could ball would break it. Any suggestions on how to make it so it won’t get broken

37 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

What size of Chicago screws will you use? 

I am trying to do a video for everyone.

I think I know why the STG shattered

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Razzer said:

I am trying to do a video for everyone.

I think I know why the STG shattered

11 minutes ago, tpatience said:

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on this 

I too cant wait to hear what you found. Especially if you think it will be a continued problem or just a one off of a TG that failed structurally but did its job to protect the wearer.

Video is far to large to upload

You can see the Samari/Mizuno Bolt and nut and the Chicago screws

One thing i noticed about the bolt and nut is when you tighten it up it still has lots of play

If you were wearing this TG with a mask with a normal rake extension nothing would have happened and the TG would have not shattered.

The OP was wearing a non extended mask and the TG would have some play and movement back and forth. The batter swings and fouls the ball off the shovel

80-85 mph was the pitch speed so it most likely gained a few mph and could changed flight path before it impacted the left quadrant of the mask or TG

The bolt/nut has some serious play when you make it tight and if the bolt was impacted at an angle it would torque and bend with most of the pressure being on the screw hole which is more oval than round . Hope this makes sense?

I am not convinced this TG is a good idea to use with a non extended mask because of the Bolt/Nut combo and the holes being more oval than round.

Poly carbonate can shatter and I am sure a more flexible ABS semi rigid but pliable may be a better option moving forward

I also suggest replacing the bolt/nut with Chicago screws

Image one

I can spin the left side 360 Bolt/Nut

I cannot spin right side Chicago male/Female screws

image1 (1).jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I too cant wait to hear what you found. Especially if you think it will be a continued problem or just a one off of a TG that failed structurally but did its job to protect the wearer.

not sure it failed, I believe it is just the wrong hardware being used. I always thought the same with the real shovel...replaced it day 2 with Chicago screws much safer IMHO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Razzer said:

not sure it failed, I believe it is just the wrong hardware being used. I always thought the same with the real shovel...replaced it day 2 with Chicago screws much safer IMHO

I know Spencer asked already. But what size Chicago Screws would you recommend?

8 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I know Spencer asked already. But what size Chicago Screws would you recommend?

NO IDEA MAN JUST A HOCKEY GUY

Male .5" Female .25"

image1 (2).jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

@Razzer, since I plan to use it on a chopped mask, would the Chicago Screw provide more stability in the hole than the nut/bolt? Thus making it less likely to shatter like in the post above?

I'm a doctor Jim, not a mechanic

Yes it would make it safer

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, AtlUmp said:

Got mine installed on my Mizuno and had a game yesterday, took a shot near the screws that cause it to snap into pieces. According to the coach this pitcher sits mid to upper 80s and it was fouled by the batter into the shovel.

IMG_20190414_110156 - Copy.jpg

Game Day

Can you tell me what the temperature was when this happened. It could be a factor with the material used for this product

• Like 1

I would also consider other things as well.  Could this have been a "one off" material issue during production?  Could it be like the 3 world plays that get posted on here occasionally and something "just happened".   When it comes to the composition of the material, I'd take @Razzer's word for it.  If he feels that ABS is better, then so do I.  I've order several of his products and have ZERO complaints.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Razzer said:

Game Day

Can you tell me what the temperature was when this happened. It could be a factor with the material used for this product

The day's high was 83, at game time it was mid 70s