Samurai Throat Guard

codizzle
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1807 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

4 hours ago, mwest5575 said:

I have a Diamond (black with black Wilson memory foam pads) that I had "chopped" and added a Zett guard. It is now my go to mask and by far the most comfortable setup of anything else I've tried. It's my "poor man's" Mizuno setup. I'd be interested to try the Samurai guard. Maybe give me an excuse to chop another mask (or even better land a Mizuno frame...).

That is the exact mask set up on my main rig for the last few years up until last season when I went to the Nike. I had thought about selling it. But now that I (allegedly)have two Samurais coming, I might hold onto it.

19 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

That is the exact mask set up on my main rig for the last few years up until last season when I went to the Nike. I had thought about selling it. But now that I (allegedly)have two Samurais coming, I might hold onto it.

So... SWMBO thought she would be funny and hold them until Easter to surprise me. But I let her sleep in and take the kids this morning. So she decided to be nice and give them to me today.

They got delivered yesterday and, thankfully she is a stay-at-home mom, so she was here to sign for them.

7 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

Sweet - looks good!  (So, you like the Wilson Memory Foam better than the All-Star Mag LUCs it looks like?)

Yea - the LUCs were lighter but they're only so big because they compress so easy. I feel like the two-tone pads I have on it protect better, and look better. 

• Like 1

Not TG-related, but I got a concussion last weekend from a direct pitch to bat to main bar above the eye slot while wearing my MAG.  LUC pads - I didn’t have the con-cushion in place yet. Still have headaches off and on a bit.

It looks great with the new Shovel though.

7D8DC6F0-AE18-4536-84CA-329A47369FC9.jpeg

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Not TG-related, but I got a concussion last weekend from a direct pitch to bat to main bar above the eye slot while wearing my MAG.  LUC pads - I didn’t have the con-cushion in place yet. Still have headaches off and on a bit.

So, what I am getting is that neither the MAG nor the Shovel are baseball resistant like the Force3 mask or cp was for a bit there? Lol

Get better soon Keith.

• Like 1

Got mine installed on my Mizuno and had a game yesterday, took a shot near the screws that cause it to snap into pieces. According to the coach this pitcher sits mid to upper 80s and it was fouled by the batter into the shovel.

IMG_20190414_110156 - Copy.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, AtlUmp said:

Got mine installed on my Mizuno and had a game yesterday, took a shot near the screws that cause it to snap into pieces. According to the coach this pitcher sits mid to upper 80s and it was fouled by the batter into the shovel.

IMG_20190414_110156 - Copy.jpg

Damn! That's unfortunate and a little concerning!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Since it looks like you are "chopped" did you go the rest of the game without throat protection, or did you go to a backup

image.png

4 minutes ago, GerryB said:

Since it looks like you are "chopped" did you go the rest of the game without throat protection, or did you go to a backup?

image.png

Grabbed my backup FM2000 from the car.

9 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I bought my new mask because of the same thing. Actually broke the weld on my 15 year old Diamond mask. I was knocked out for a good 5 to 7 minutes, fortunately paramedics were watching the game and responded to help me out. Headaches lasted 6 months. 

15 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Looks pretty damn sweet.

8 hours ago, tpatience said:

Not chopped, the mizuno doesn’t come with an extension 

At least THIS ONE doesnt.

2 hours ago, tpatience said:

It’s the same thickness but feels like different plastic 

Can you explain? It is kind of the same thing as going from an All American or V-Sport to a Champion?

Just now, BT_Blue said:

At least THIS ONE doesnt.

Can you explain? It is kind of the same thing as going from an All American or V-Sport to a Champion?

It just seems like the mizuno is a little heavier. This makes it seem like it’s a different plastic. Can’t really explain any more

• Like 1

After contacting him and sending him some additional pictures So is contacting the factory to investigate the issue and he said he will keep me updated. The other thing he said is that his is designed to be 3mm thick or 20% thicker than the original Mizuno.