Bat Hits Ball Second Time

Mussgrass
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1813 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have a question regarding a ball over foul ground that either hits the batter or his bat if he is not still in the batter's box. Is he out or is it a foul ball?

The  rules 7 & 8 below deal more with him still being in the box. I also get it that a batted ball is not yet fair or foul until further conditions are met.

Rule 9 mentions an intentional deflection.

I am specifically thinking of a situation where a batter hits the ball and takes a step out of the box and the ball in foul ground bounces up and hits the bat which he is still holding, nothing intentional on his part.

OBR Rule 5.09(a)(5) to 5.09(a)(8) The batter is out when:  

(7) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder. If the batter is in a legal position in the batter’s box, see Rule 5.04(b)(5), and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball;

(8) After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter-runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play. If the batter is in a legal position in the batter’s box, see Rule 5.04(b)(5), and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball;

(9) After hitting or bunting a ball that continues to move over foul territory, he intentionally deflects the course of the ball in any manner while running to first base. The ball is dead and no runners may advance;

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

@Gfoley4

That's what I was thinking. Does this reference a dropped bat? In my question the batter has not dropped it yet.

no, but you could follow a line of thinking regarding the fourth sentence where the the ball is alive if the bat is dropped in fair territory.... then reference the rule where any ball that strikes a foreign object in foul territory is a foul ball.... result is a foul ball

• 3 weeks later...