What Levels Use 3-Umpire Mechanics?

ilyazhito
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1833 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm curious to know which levels use 3-umpire mechanics on a consistent basis. Right now, I am a high school umpire who gets occasional 3-umpire experience through playoff games and camps. I would love to move up to eventually work Division I games, but before I reach that level, I will need to have experience working 3-umpire games (and at least a basic working knowledge of 4-umpire mechanics, since some conferences at the D1 level use 4 umpires for regular season conference games, as well as all D1 postseason games outside of the College World Series).

The $64,000 question is where I can get that experience. AFAIK, junior college, like high school, uses 2 umpires for the regular season, with 3 in the playoffs. Do Division III or Division II use 3 umpires in the regular season? If so, I'll ask the local DIII and DII conferences about trying out in the next few years. 

Is there any non-scholastic baseball (preferably in the Mid-Atlantic region), such as Babe Ruth or American Legion that consistently uses 3 umpires? AFAIK, all of the rec or travel leagues I have serviced use 2 umpires, and I haven't gotten any invites to work as an unpaid 3rd. 

Of course, if I get hired to call affiliated professional baseball, this will be irrelevant, because I will be exposed to 3-man at the lower levels for postseason assignments, and consistently at the AA level.

Is the 3 umpire crew standard in independent professional baseball, or is it a league-by-league thing (ALPB uses 3, but the Can-Am League does not)? 

I'm sure it depends on the region of the country, so I can only comment on what we see here in Southern California.  In Orange County, there is one high school league that pays for 3 umpires.  We also have a few regular season tournaments that use three umpires.  Of course, all CIF games (HS playoffs) use at least 3 umpires, with the semis and finals being 4 umpires.

On the collegiate level, Junior College currently uses 2 umpires, as do the NAIA conferences.  We have one D3 conference here that moved to 3 umpires for their conference games this season, and will be using 3 umpires for all games next season.  I hear that the NAIA conferences may be moving in that direction next year as well.  I hear one of the JC conference may do so as well.  All D2 games here are 3 man.

Can't comment in professional baseball - just have no knowledge of it.

• Like 2

I know that NCAA Division 2 in the Midwest (GLVC and MIAA) uses 3 man and one D3 school in the St. Louis area's conference which is based on the east coast is 3 man for all conference games as well. JUCO and NAIA in my area is all 2 man as well as high school until the play offs.

In my area, NAIA uses 3-man for conference games. HS uses 2-man except for during playoffs - however I know at least one of the bigger schools in my area is pushing their league to use 3-man for their league games as well. It hasn't happened yet, but it very well might in the next few years.

The other option is to find two other umpires that want experience in 3-man, then work 2-man games as a 3-man crew. You'll take a pay cut, but you get the experience.

19 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

If so, I'll ask the local DIII and DII conferences about trying out in the next few years.

IMO, you should do this (and JuCo) regardless of the 2-person or 3-person answer.  And, when you are working these levels, you will pick up hints about the process for moving up in your area -- you don't need to be or want to be the guy who is constantly asking questions about this to them (it's a balancing act between being aggressive and getting the information, and being a pest.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yawetag said:

The other option is to find two other umpires that want experience in 3-man, then work 2-man games as a 3-man crew. You'll take a pay cut, but you get the experience.

Absolutely.  We do this all the time in the summer, fall and winter.  Also, find and attend a good 3-man clinic.

I live in the DC Metro Area, more specifically Montgomery County, MD. I call high school baseball all over the Metro Area (Northern Virginia [Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church], Prince George's County, Montgomery County, the District of Columbia). 

On 3/20/2019 at 1:37 PM, grayhawk said:

I'm sure it depends on the region of the country, so I can only comment on what we see here in Southern California.  In Orange County, there is one high school league that pays for 3 umpires.  We also have a few regular season tournaments that use three umpires.  Of course, all CIF games (HS playoffs) use at least 3 umpires, with the semis and finals being 4 umpires.

On the collegiate level, Junior College currently uses 2 umpires, as do the NAIA conferences.  We have one D3 conference here that moved to 3 umpires for their conference games this season, and will be using 3 umpires for all games next season.  I hear that the NAIA conferences may be moving in that direction next year as well.  I hear one of the JC conference may do so as well.  All D2 games here are 3 man.

Can't comment in professional baseball - just have no knowledge of it.

It would be nice to work more 3 man at the high school and CC levels.  Doesn't matter how many clinics you go to.  If you work 3 games a year 3 man mechanics it's kind of hard to retain what you have paid a great deal of money to learn.  That's why I think Gary is doing a great job in his assigning for you guys.

10 hours ago, umpstu said:

It would be nice to work more 3 man at the high school and CC levels.  Doesn't matter how many clinics you go to.  If you work 3 games a year 3 man mechanics it's kind of hard to retain what you have paid a great deal of money to learn.  That's why I think Gary is doing a great job in his assigning for you guys.

After Gary became assigner, the number of 3 man games increased dramatically.  I think we've had about 100 3 man games in each of the last two years.  I had over 20 in HS last year before the playoffs began.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, grayhawk said:

After Gary became assigner, the number of 3 man games increased dramatically.  I think we've had about 100 3 man games in each of the last two years.  I had over 20 in HS last year before the playoffs began.

I have a few 3 man HS games and 15 D3 games that are 3 man. And then off to the NWL which is 3 man for the summer 

• Like 1