Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gil

MLB Ejection S-1 - Angel Hernandez (1; AJ Hinch)

HP Umpire Angel Hernandez ejected Astros Manager AJ Hinch (strike one call; QOCU) in the bottom of the 1st inning of the Cardinals-Astros game. With none out and none on, Astros lead-off batter George Springer took a first-pitch fastball from Cardinals pitcher Daniel Ponce de Leon for a called...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

The story badly mischaracterizes Hinch, who said not that Hernandez was unprofessional and arrogant, but that his words were. That said, you can't argue balls and strikes.

For those of us who are tempted to humility and remarks such as "I miss 4 pitches per game," this story represents a cautionary tale. Whether true or not, whether that's a "good" number for a pro or amateur umpire, coaches can and will weaponize virtually any statement.

• Like 1

I don't care that I'm an umpire, and that we're all in the "brotherhood" ... we are, but ... I tend to agree w/ Hinch here.  This is ridiculous.  Angel opened himself up by saying he 'misses 4 pitches per game', Hinch remembered and took the opportunity to use it.  So what?  Hell, if that were me, and Hinch said that ...I'd probably double over in laughter!

FIRST PITCH of a SPRING TRAINING GAME and Angel dumps him.  Honestly, ...it's like doing a few HS scrimmages and someone doesn't like a pitch.  For God's sake, talk about it, sort it out, ...it's a scrimmage, it's PRACTICE ... :rolleyes:   Someone would have to REALLY go overboard with me at a scrimmage game for me to send them to the showers....oh well....

Whatever ....  I just can't wait to see the first Angel Hernandez - Houston Astro plate game this season! :nod: 

Meh, Hinch was being a little weasel and knew exactly what he was doing. "We have technology to help you get better"? In the 1st inning of a spring training game? STFU, little guy.

• Like 1

In fairness, it was the first pitch in the bottom of the first, so Angel had more than enough time to miss his fourth pitch. :wacko: