Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Curious Blue

NFHS - Hit by Pitch or ???

Question

Guest Curious Blue

Batter squares to bunt. Fastball thrown directly at his mid torso, clearly not in the strike zone cause it is in the batters box with him. He doesn't offer at the pitch and … He either doesn't know to rotate his body to take the hit in the rear or doesn't have time to do so. With the ball bearing in on him he takes his hand off the bat and blocks the ball with an open hand. Had he not hit the ball with his hand the ball would have hit his body. I ruled hit by pitch, the opposing coach argued that he hit the pitch with his hand, the pitch didn't hit him. Ruling??? 

7 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

From the description, the kid was clearly taking evasive action to avoid getting hurt. Of course he's getting first base. I have very little patience with absurd coach arguments like this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Guest Curious Blue said:

the opposing coach argued that he hit the pitch with his hand

That's not a distinction to be found in the rules. HBP.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:08 PM, Guest Curious Blue said:

Batter squares to bunt. Fastball thrown directly at his mid torso, clearly not in the strike zone cause it is in the batters box with him. He doesn't offer at the pitch and … He either doesn't know to rotate his body to take the hit in the rear or doesn't have time to do so. With the ball bearing in on him he takes his hand off the bat and blocks the ball with an open hand. Had he not hit the ball with his hand the ball would have hit his body. I ruled hit by pitch, the opposing coach argued that he hit the pitch with his hand, the pitch didn't hit him. Ruling??? 

Last time I checked the hand is part of a body.  HBP.

I had a first today!

Pitch rides way in to a righty batter. The ball makes a very distinctive "ping" sound and rolls back to F1 who easily throws out a stunned batter at first.

What makes this a first for me you ask? It is that I can not recall in over 25 seasons of baseball, ever having a pitch ride in and catch ALL knob of the bat! Not a single piece of hand, batting glove, NOTHING!

Always thought that was an "unfair" consequence of the rules.

Batter trying to avoid a HBP but the ball hits the bat and rolls fair and batter is an easy out at first.

Luck of the Irish! (today being St. Party's Day)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.