Retro umpire uniforms

illump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1861 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Does anybody know of any retailers that sell retro or throwback umpire uniforms?  We're thinking white shirts, black bow ties, and black driving/golf caps with black pants.  I don't think most current umpire equipment websites carry black pants, but if they do, please let me know.

If umpire black pants are not available, does anyone have any suggestions to other website options?

Thanks for your help.

Illump

Why don't you just go buy clothes from your local department store (Macy's, Kohl's, etc)? The only issue might be the caps, but everything else will look "real" enough in the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, illump said:

Does anybody know of any retailers that sell retro or throwback umpire uniforms?  We're thinking white shirts, black bow ties, and black driving/golf caps with black pants.  I don't think most current umpire equipment websites carry black pants, but if they do, please let me know.

If umpire black pants are not available, does anyone have any suggestions to other website options?

Thanks for your help.

Illump

Smitty does make a black officials pant for basketball that should work.   Agree with above post about normal clothing also working as well.  Just get an old all black short-billed plate umpire hat instead of driving caps for authenticity.

Link to Smitty 4 way stretch basketball pants (same as our version, they had them first)

https://www.refereestore.com/smitty-premium-4-way-stretch-flat-front-pants/?sku=BKS-280&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqamHw9P_4AIVQj0MCh27dwseEAQYAyABEgJCF_D_BwE

@illump you're looking for ancient uniforms my man. If you want retro uniforms, you can probably get those for free around here! Just post in the Buy/Sell section that you need:

- Navy Shirt with obligatory alcohol stains and that patch that was all the rage from 15 years ago

- 1980s Clown Jacket with 'Murica cuffs

- Heather Grey Pants that are at least 5 years old and sized for somebody half your size

- Grey Ball Bags

- Navy Hat, with the fashionable fade and flip-down sun glasses

- +POS Steel Toe Dress Shoes

- WestVest, but make sure to specify that you want the "apron-style" harness with extra lack of elasticity

- Wilson Dyna-BoatAnchor with 2 decade old leather pads

- Whatever shin guards you can find

And you'll have people paying YOU to get rid of this stuff.

Just complete the look with total apathy for decent mechanics and game management and you're good to go for your RETRO Umpire outfit! Enjoy!

(Obviously this is satire)

-BR :smachhead:

Check out Brandon James on facebook.  He was a AA umpire last year and the league had him and his partners wearing retro uniforms for a game last year.  A photo is posted on his page.  I've known Brandon for a while now and I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

:kissass: 

I did just get my first cortisone knee injection for the season about 2 hours ago................

Sounds like you might have the kneesles.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

That hits a bit to close to home up here! (I think I am getting a reputation on Facebook. Lol)

Well, somebody has to bring it to the forefront.  That people believe what they want to believe is extremely selfish when it comes to vac's.

• Like 1

It's not so long ago. I have a memory of working for one assigner when I started (~38 years ago), who required black pants, a white shirt and a black tie (like the fellow on the right in the photo. "Hard to believe, Harry,"* but true.

*Richie Ashburn to Harry Kalas, his broadcast partner.

• Haha 1