Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Bruin

Ball 4 Balk

R1, 3-0 count on the batter, base umpire (2 man) calls “balk”, pitch sails high and wide, catcher catches the pitch, batters starts running towards first. What’s the call?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Under OBR and NCAA rules the penalty for a balk allows play to proceed without reference to the balk if the batter and all runners advance one base on the pitch following the balk (i.e., the actual pitch and/or action caused by the batter hitting the ball).

The 2018 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual in a section titled Calling “Time” After a Balk tells us—

3. If the balk is followed by a pitch that is caught by the catcher, call “Time” the moment the catcher catches the ball. (Note the exception in “Ball Four” situations covered in case 5 below.)

5. If the balk is followed by “Ball Four” delivered to the batter and is caught by the catcher, call “Time” and enforce the balk unless all runners advance one base because of “Ball Four.” In that situation, play proceeds without reference to the balk.

Since you had an R1 in your play the ball would be kept live because the R1 is forced to second on the ball four call. I am guessing that Mr. noumpere’s helpful hint referred to the fact that in high school rules all balks create an immediate dead ball situation. I hope you find my answer as helpful as his hint.

• Thanks 1

And, in those ball four situations, the ball is still live, too. Runners are only protected to their next base.

Rule set was OBR, I was PU and enforced the balk, batter came back to the box. My partner told me after the game I got it wrong. Rule book confirms I was wrong - 6.02(a)Penalty.

The next pitch was a ball, so no damage done.

9 hours ago, Bruin said:

Rule set was OBR, I was PU and enforced the balk, batter came back to the box. My partner told me after the game I got it wrong. Rule book confirms I was wrong - 6.02(a)Penalty.

The next pitch was a ball, so no damage done.

Since it's a rules issue, your partner should have come to you immediately.

Good for looking it up after -- you'll own this rule now.  Kicking something is one of the best ways to learn it.

• Like 1

had this exact situation in a Cap Ripken regional and as BU I came in to discuss with PU. He was sure he was right and wouldn't change call. Next pitch was a ball thankfully

On 3/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, ousafe said:

I like the balk - HBP scenario. Some similarities to this case.

I would guess the batter isnt as big a fan as you are. Lol

On 3/13/2019 at 1:26 PM, ousafe said:

I like the balk - HBP scenario. Some similarities to this case.

NFHS...no stop balk called, pitch drills the batter in between his shoulder blades. Ugh.

41 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

NFHS...no stop balk called, pitch drills the batter in between his shoulder blades. Ugh.

He gets to try to drive in a run again. Good for his stats.