Appeal Mechanic

MT73
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1840 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

B/R beats the throw to first but misses the base.

We used to call him safe and wait for an appeal but I think that I read somewhere that the mechanic was changed to where the BU should now make no call— as is done when a runner misses home plate.

Which one is now correct?

1 hour ago, MT73 said:

Base umpire.

For those skimming the forums and wondering the mechanics for the plate umpire in this situation: nothing. The plate umpire would make no signal and keep his mouth shut.

This is for all levels of baseball and all codes. I don't have the manuals in front of me, so this is going purely on my knowledge of said mechanics.

4 hours ago, MT73 said:

B/R beats the throw to first but misses the base.

We used to call him safe and wait for an appeal but I think that I read somewhere that the mechanic was changed to where the BU should now make no call— as is done when a runner misses home plate.

Which one is now correct?

Recently (two years ago?) OBR changed how they want this handled. We should make no signal only if the runner misses first base AND the fielder misses first base. This happened to Nelson Cruz in Boston. If the first baseman is on the bag but the batter runner passes, thus acquiring, first base before the throw arrives, we are to call him safe and the defense must appeal. 

• Like 1

Was this video before the change? Because both missed the base and Hunter signaled safe.

Hunter also seemed to have completely missed that Hanley tagged him for the appeal, even though Hanley told him before the tag that he missed the base. It was only after Hanley said something after the tag that Hunter realized what he was doing.

That Hanley tag play on Nelson Cruz happened in June 2016. Here’s what the MiLBUM says about this mechanic--

From the 2018 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 5.15, p. 46):

Play 1:  Batter-runner hits a ground ball and beats the play at first base but misses the bag as he passes it with both feet.

Ruling 1:  The proper mechanic is for the umpire to make no call on the play because the batter-runner has not yet touched first base. If the defense appeals by tagging the runner (or base) and appealing that the runner missed first base before the runner returns to first base, the batter-runner would be declared out.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for that, @Senor Azul. Any indication on when it was added to the book (or was it 2018)? It seems now that if BR misses first base when he otherwise would have acquired it, no signal is the new mechanic, and to wait on the appeal before he returns. This appears to be true whether he (1) beat the throw, or (2) the throw pulled R3 off the base.

The manual is different than @Stk004 when he said, "If the first baseman is on the bag but the batter runner passes, thus acquiring, first base before the throw arrives, we are to call him safe and the defense must appeal."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

Was this video before the change? Because both missed the base and Hunter signaled safe.

Hunter also seemed to have completely missed that Hanley tagged him for the appeal, even though Hanley told him before the tag that he missed the base. It was only after Hanley said something after the tag that Hunter realized what he was doing.

The initial safe signal was ruling on the tag attempt. No tag!

I think Hunter was waiting for a clear appeal of the missed base and not giving any indication of the baserunning error. F3 missed the tag, and so he might simply have been trying to tag a runner off base; but a BR is permitted by rule to overrun 1B without being liable to be tagged out while off the base. If that's all it was, we properly ignore it (do not rule on it).

When F3 stated that he was appealing the missed base, Hunter rang up the out.

Or anyway that's how I'm interpreting that video.

• Like 3

Good call on the "no tag". But right after the no tag, Hanley points (with Hunter watching) and then jogs out to tag Cruz. I've got to think that's a pretty good indication of what's going on. I wasn't there, though, and no one's got a mic on, so we'll never know what really happened.

I do agree that it was a "no tag" sign.

Here is the text that accompanied the case play I posted earlier--

A runner does not acquire the right to an unoccupied base on an attempt to retire the runner until he touches it before he is put out. This is true regardless of whether the umpire’s act of not making a call signifies to the defensive team that the runner failed to touch the base for purposes of an appeal play.

The text is underlined in the book signifying a change for the 2018 season in Minor League Baseball. It further explained that the interpretation was added to clarify that on plays where the batter-runner overruns and misses first base and has both feet beyond the base before a play is made there, the umpire should make no “Safe” call (i.e., make no call on the play).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The following interpretation can be found in the 2016 BRD (section 362, p. 242):

FED Official Interpretation:  Hopkins:  If BR misses first but beats the throw, he is “considered safe” and the umpire should so signal. If the defense appeals, the umpire will reverse his call.

2015 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 20: The batter hits the ball to the shortstop who bobbles the ball and throws late to first base. The batter-runner beats the throw but does not touch first base. RULING: The runner beats the ball on the play and is considered to be safe. The defense must appeal the missed base or tag the batter-runner before he returns to first in order to have the out declared for the missed base. (8-2-1 Penalty)

2 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

The following interpretation can be found in the 2016 BRD (section 362, p. 242):

FED Official Interpretation:  Hopkins:  If BR misses first but beats the throw, he is “considered safe” and the umpire should so signal. If the defense appeals, the umpire will reverse his call.

2015 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 20: The batter hits the ball to the shortstop who bobbles the ball and throws late to first base. The batter-runner beats the throw but does not touch first base. RULING: The runner beats the ball on the play and is considered to be safe. The defense must appeal the missed base or tag the batter-runner before he returns to first in order to have the out declared for the missed base. (8-2-1 Penalty)

So, regardless of if F3 is on the bag or not, in FED, we still would signal safe since he beat the ball.