Appeal?

Guest Matthew Temkin
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1840 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Matthew Temkin

Bases loaded 2 outs.

Tie score.

Batter walks but R 1, in his excitement, runs off the field to celebrate before reaching 2B before R3 and B/R have advanced.

can the run be nullified by appeal or by being declared out for abdonment?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

10 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, Guest Matthew Temkin said:

Bases loaded 2 outs.

Tie score.

Batter walks but R 1, in his excitement, runs off the field to celebrate before reaching 2B before R3 and B/R have advanced.

can the run be nullified by appeal or by being declared out for abdonment?

OBR the run scores. Only BR and R3 must advance and they did. NCAA is the same. NFHS the miss must be appealed and if ruled out the score remains tied.

3 minutes ago, MT73 said:

Maybe I am overthinking this but does this remain true if R1 is tagged before R3 and B/R touch their respective bases?

Well, there's no reason to tag him if he hasn't reached second base yet.    Unless you could rule he ran past second base...and even then, at least in OBR, it has been ruled that the run still counts (ie. R3 gets home on a bases loaded walk...he just has to touch it - even if an overzealous R1 overruns second and is tagged before R3 scores)

Gotcha.

I was thinking about a situation when R1 rushes home to celebrate the win and makes no attempt to advance.

Hopefully the umpires would not call him out for abdonment.

But your answer pretty much covers that situation.

Mr. Jimurray, are you saying that the NCAA has the same requirements as OBR or FED? According to the 2016 BRD (section 33, p. 38), NCAA is the same as FED in that each runner forced to advance must advance and touch the next base or be liable to appeal. Could you clarify please.

37 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. Jimurray, are you saying that the NCAA has the same requirements as OBR or FED? According to the 2016 BRD (section 33, p. 38), NCAA is the same as FED in that each runner forced to advance must advance and touch the next base or be liable to appeal. Could you clarify please.

That was the case but they changed to how OBR calls it in 2017 I think. But what they didn’t do is clarify what the ump should do if the BR doesn’t go to 1B. In OBR we tell him to advance and call him out if he refuses. That’s what I would do in NCAA also but some disagree and want it to be appealed. 

You’re right, Mr. Jimurray—there was a rule change making the NCAA ruling the same as OBR. Thanks for the clarification. Here’s the 2018 rule 5-8d Note:

When the winning run is scored in the last half-inning of a regulation game, or in the last half-inning of an extra inning, as the result of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases full which forces the batter and all other runners to advance without liability of being put out, the umpire shall not declare the game ended until the runner forced to advance from third has touched home plate and the batter-runner has touched first base. An exception will be made if fans rush onto the field and physically prevent the runner from touching home plate or the batter-runner from touching first base. In such cases, the umpires shall award the runner the necessary bases with n appeal allowed.

3 hours ago, Jimurray said:

That’s what I would do in NCAA also but some disagree and want it to be appealed. 

1 hour ago, Senor Azul said:

In such cases, the umpires shall award the runner the necessary bases with no appeal allowed.

I think this is the key. My guess is NCAA wants 1B appealed. That's how I read this. 

32 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I think this is the key. My guess is NCAA wants 1B appealed. That's how I read this. 

But that would not comply with the reason why they made the change to the OBR wording: "5-8-d Added Note simplifying administration of last half-inning
winning runs. 52" 

Except they did leave out the OBR guidance on what to do if the BR did not advance. So your guess is as good as mine.