Preseason excersizes

Fid00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1631 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I start my season in about 5 weeks any tips  on getting my legs back in shape?  I’ve been doing some squats and stretching.  Just looking for some other ideas so I don’t feel like hell for the next three days after the first game!  Lol

39 minutes ago, Fid00 said:

I start my season in about 5 weeks any tips  on getting my legs back in shape?  I’ve been doing some squats and stretching.  Just looking for some other ideas so I don’t feel like hell for the next three days after the first game!  Lol

You should be “in shape” all year. While running doesn’t seem to be the right thing for plate work it works for me and an empty bases triple will test you. Run. 

Running is good, throw in some hills or stairs to help with working the plate (and never take the elevator when you can take the stairs - climb them two at a time).

If you're not into running, try jumping rope. It will work your legs, core, arms to a lesser extent (get a jump rope with weights in the handles), and is of lower impact than running. Not to mention that is one of the best cardio workouts you can do. Boxers do it for a reason. A good rope costs about $15.00 on Amazon. I do it because it helps with some nagging ankle pain that crops up now and again due to an old injury. 

Also, relax when you're working the plate. Tensing up will make things worse.

• Like 1

Healthy does of squats and lunges for plate work, with a good mix of cardio exercises (jog-sprints at a 3:1 rate are my favorite).  The cardio helps the endurance both physically and mentally to keep focus in long lackluster games.  

My Doc suggested against running, due to the impact, but ok'd me on walking on a treadmill.  Then again, this was after a total knee replacement.  I convinced him that short bursts of running on grass and "some dirt" shouldn't be that much of an impact.  He agreed.

• 3 months later...

Here I am having missed a lot of the 2019 season because I had knee surgery in February.  My PT requirements eventually got me to leg curls, leg presses, and calf raises.  My biggest problem was that I had to be inactive for so long, and my "good" knee/leg atrophied in its fitness.  

So I have been doing recumbent bike for cardio and my PT twice to three times a week. (Just getting back to treadmill.  Perspective:  I used to run marathons!)

Of the plate games I did, I wore some pretty sophisticated knee braces, and I felt pretty good.  I was tired from the work, but I know I'll have to stay with the PT through out the year.

I assume you have taken some clinics that show you the proper way to squat at the plate.  If so, this will biomechanically work your lower body properly and then keep your back out of pain.

Staying in shape is a year-round process.  I have a ways to go to get back to 100%, but so far the PT has helped a bunch!

Good luck!

Mike

Las Vegas

• 2 months later...

Fall Ball starts tomorrow.  My rehab is coming along, and I hope to check out the program with the games I'll do.

It will be fun getting back to the game in earnest.

I have been able to jog a bit, so the knees are stronger and my stamina is coming back.

Will check after a few plate games.

Cheers!

Mike

LAS VEGAS

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rats!  Now the right knee is messed up!  I go under the knife again on Nov 12.  Fall ball is going fine on the left knee, but the right knee has years of baseball and Marathon running!  So it's time!  I should be back ready to go for the Spring.

More "deranged" meniscus problems!

See you at the clinics!

Mike

Las Vegas

10 hours ago, yawetag said:

Another reason to tell my doctor why I don't run. :HD:

Yaw:  With all due respect, I would have been dead by now had I not stayed in shape and ran like I did!  My arteries were genetically narrow and clogged up:  The "widow maker" was 85% blocked, and I felt no pain!  (Should have!)  The surgeon on my triple bypass said that there was all kinds of extra vascularity on my heart because it was doing the job that the arteries could not!  That came from 40 years of distance running.  And once my knees get well, I can run, although maybe only 20 minutes.  But heck!  I am 71!  Cannot complain!  I outlived my brother who died at 46 with the same artery defect.  So I am living on extra-granted time.  I'll still do the plate and stay svelt!  

Yes, I'll count my blessings, and it won't be long before I am back behind the plate and doing easy jogs!

See you at the resurrection!

Mike

Vegas!

39 minutes ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Yaw:  With all due respect, I would have been dead by now had I not stayed in shape and ran like I did!  My arteries were genetically narrow and clogged up:  The "widow maker" was 85% blocked, and I felt no pain!  (Should have!)  The surgeon on my triple bypass said that there was all kinds of extra vascularity on my heart because it was doing the job that the arteries could not!  That came from 40 years of distance running.  And once my knees get well, I can run, although maybe only 20 minutes.  But heck!  I am 71!  Cannot complain!  I outlived my brother who died at 46 with the same artery defect.  So I am living on extra-granted time.  I'll still do the plate and stay svelt!  

Yes, I'll count my blessings, and it won't be long before I am back behind the plate and doing easy jogs!

See you at the resurrection!

Mike

Vegas!

I'm still running also but if you are near any smooth water get a recreational rowing shell to take a break from impact exercise. I row on weekends and you don't know how hard you worked until you take a hot shower. Rowing machines are a second alternative.

• Like 1