Need Pants!

Tborze
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1848 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

14 hours ago, kylejt said:

Some folks are saying the latest Davis pants are better than the Smitty's. 

https://www.gerrydavis.com/product/B08PTMLB001PL/MLB-Pro-Style-Plate-Umpire-Pants.html?cid=14

For $25 more per pair they better have *some* kind of advantage over the Smitty's ;)

• Like 1

Just now, ofhs93 said:

For $25 more per pair they better have *some* kind of advantage over the Smitty's ;)

At the least, you have less money, and therefore less weight, to carry around in them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently, you have to put your belt on the opposite way, too.

Edit: Upon further review, they also missed the loop to the left (our right looking at the picture) of the clasp/zipper area. I'm beginning to question Gerry Davis and his dressing abilities.

gerrydavis.JPG

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Apparently, you have to put your belt on the opposite way, too.

Edit: Upon further review, they also missed the loop to the left (our right looking at the picture) of the clasp/zipper area. I'm beginning to question Gerry Davis and his dressing abilities.

gerrydavis.JPG

It's hard to get that 1.75" belt thru those 1.75" belt loops:D

8 hours ago, yawetag said:

At the least, you have less money, and therefore less weight, to carry around in them.

Someone once attributed the phrase about a "fool and his money soon parting" to the world famous P. T. Barnum.

(It was later found that the attributor was a direct competitor of Barnum's attempting to defame him.)

52 minutes ago, humanbackstop19 said:

The plate version - no comparison: Smitty Poly Spandex all the way!  They stretch and breathe a lot better in warmer temps and are surprisingly solid in cooler weather. 

They stretch?

When do they stretch?  I've never had a need for my umpire pants to stretch.  Just curious.

7 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

They stretch?

When do they stretch?  I've never had a need for my umpire pants to stretch.  Just curious.

There is a slight stretch to the material as they are 8% spandex.  Very similar to a modern golf pant.  In essence, they feel more like an athletic style pant than a dress pant.

• Like 1

The Smitty golf pants are leap forward in comfort, IMO. I did have a tailor shop put in a permanent crease, and that made a great difference in ironing them. But I catch them still warm from the dryer, and hang them up right away, I can avoid the iron.

The legs are a bit wide, on the plate and base pants, though. Not bad on the dish, but a bit floppy on the bags.

• Like 1

I have the Smittys in both plate and base and they are one of the best investments I have ever made for umpire gear. They breathe very well in the TX heat and the plate version slides and slightly stretches over my F3 Shins soooo smoothly. I do agree the base version fits more like combo pants around the legs, but I'm big enough I actually like how they're cut. Can't speak to the Davis version though...

-BR

• Like 1