Pitching Limits and Umpires

yawetag
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1880 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In South Carolina, on top of the number of pitches and days of rest, they have a rule that states a pitcher cannot become a catcher after pitching. We have been instructed to not be the enforcer of this, as ALL pitching limit rules are between the teams and the state. Even if we realize it's against the rules, we simply note the change on our lineup card and keep playing.

How does your state handle these limits and any other various rules that tie into the limits? Are umpires expected to enforce the rules on the field, or have the teams handle it with the state office?

3 hours ago, scrounge said:

In OH, we do not track nor enforce pitching limits either. If a coach thinks there's been a violation, it's strictly between them and the state association office. No other rules other than pitch limits.

Same in Kansas.

Coach to me: "according to my records, that pitcher should be on one of his required days of rest."

Me to coach: "then I suggest you file a report with the state association office tomorrow. Ready to play?"

• Like 2

In NJ, surprisingly, pitch limits are not our monkeys and protests are not our circus.

But, just for kicks try this:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/5333143695036146594/north-hunterdons-win-over-phillipsburg-stands-despite-pitch-count-discrepancy

Rules are rules until they aren't.

2 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

In NJ, surprisingly, pitch limits are not our monkeys and protests are not our circus.

But, just for kicks try this:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/5333143695036146594/north-hunterdons-win-over-phillipsburg-stands-despite-pitch-count-discrepancy

Rules are rules until they aren't.

I'm also sure the pitching to one additional batter was the reason the score was 11 to 4 :cool:

If the announcement went out every 1/2 inning, then the coach should be even more responsible for ensuring his player did not cross over the threshold... seems lazy on the State to not make the coach responsible.

19 hours ago, ousafe said:

Just learned that in Washington state, HS coaches can protest a game up to 24 hours after the fact. (!)

I would assume Washington uses some sort of online system to keep track of pitcher eligibility (SC does). If so, what's the timeline that a coach has to enter their pitcher information into the system? What about a double header against two different teams, and the head coach for the second game didn't know who pitched in game one or how many pitches? There has to be some level of lag allowed as it may not be possible for a head coach to have all the information available when the game is in progress.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:33 AM, yawetag said:

I would assume Washington uses some sort of online system to keep track of pitcher eligibility (SC does). If so, what's the timeline that a coach has to enter their pitcher information into the system? What about a double header against two different teams, and the head coach for the second game didn't know who pitched in game one or how many pitches? There has to be some level of lag allowed as it may not be possible for a head coach to have all the information available when the game is in progress.

That makes sense.  WIAA actually allows protests based on an incorrect application of a rule up to 24 hours later.  That's the part I think is...interesting.

55 minutes ago, ousafe said:

That makes sense.  WIAA actually allows protests based on an incorrect application of a rule up to 24 hours later.  That's the part I think is...interesting.

I think Missouri has the best way of handling on-field protests. Coach comes out and wants to protest. You give him 10 minutes to find the applicable rule or case play and bring it to you.

In my 11 years of high school umpiring in Missouri, I had three coaches want to protest. Two of them decided to drop it when I told them they had 10 minutes to find the rule. The third actually agreed and walked into the dugout; after about 6 minutes of looking for a rule book, he yelled "Nevermind. I don't want to waste anymore time. Get the game going again."

All three wouldn't have been able to find something to support their case anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ousafe said:

Yup. We also used to give the coach the option of if he wants to appeal an ejection that happens at the time of the ejection. The ejection would still stand. But we would have to note it in the report and then they would have to formally appeal.

Thankfully, we dont do that any more.

19 hours ago, yawetag said:

I think Missouri has the best way of handling on-field protests. Coach comes out and wants to protest. You give him 10 minutes to find the applicable rule or case play and bring it to you.

In my 11 years of high school umpiring in Missouri, I had three coaches want to protest. Two of them decided to drop it when I told them they had 10 minutes to find the rule. The third actually agreed and walked into the dugout; after about 6 minutes of looking for a rule book, he yelled "Nevermind. I don't want to waste anymore time. Get the game going again."

All three wouldn't have been able to find something to support their case anyway.

I actually did this when I was coaching on a pitcher re-entering to pitch. I just came back out after about 7 minutes and told the umpire, "F it... I'm wrong."