Anyone see the LSU Army HBP

GPblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1879 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 minute ago, Thunderheads said:

ok, but you see he called it a strike because his elbow was in the zone?

No a strike is added to the count when the batter intentionally gets HBP. But the HC gets ejected for ignoring the "don't come out" and argue. Did an assistant then ask for video review?

3 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

No a strike is added to the count when the batter intentionally gets HBP. But the HC gets ejected for ignoring the "don't come out" and argue. Did an assistant then ask for video review?

Thanks Jim!  I did NOT know that!!  I understand the EJ however ....

Well then ... that makes PERFECT SENSE .......no controversy there!

• Like 1

Just now, Thunderheads said:

Thanks Jim!  I did NOT know that!!  I understand the EJ however ....

Well then ... that makes PERFECT SENSE .......no controversy there!

Was that a 7 or 9 inning game? If 7 the PU could initiate his own review. Otherwise who requested the review, the ejected HC or an assistant?

5 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Yes.

I think the "or" phrase applied here: "a) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or if the
batter moves to intentionally get hit or freezes to allow a pitch that is
not within the batter's box to hit him, the ball is dead, it shall be called
a strike and the batter is not awarded first base."

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Was that a 7 or 9 inning game? If 7 the PU could initiate his own review. Otherwise who requested the review, the ejected HC or an assistant?

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&CONTENT_ID=2150066

9-inning game.

39 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I think the "or" phrase applied here: "a) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or if the

interesting, is this only a NCAA rule? and you could still make the case that the ball was in the batter's box I suppose

3 minutes ago, GPblue said:

The HBP was in the strike zone?

no ...read the rule jimurray posted:

I think the "or" phrase applied here: "a) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or if the

2 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

interesting, is this only a NCAA rule? and you could still make the case that the ball was in the batter's box I suppose

NCAA only. If the pitch was in the box freezing would be allowed but that did not happen. The "or if the batter moves to intentionally get hit" happened and was confirmed by video review. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

ok, but you see he called it a strike because his elbow was in the zone?

no ...read the rule jimurray posted:

I think the "or" phrase applied here: "a) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or if the

?????

14 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

So the strike zone for intentionally getting hit expands to 29 inches in/out. How much does it expand up and down, nose to toes.

As far as a batter can move and still get hit intentionally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

So the strike zone for intentionally getting hit expands to 29 inches in/out. How much does it expand up and down, nose to toes.

Nothing to do with the strike zone.  It has to do with the batter getting hit intentionally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

So, with this being a reviewable call when technology permits, is this now an acceptable play for a crew to get together where the technology is NOT present at the lower levels of college baseball (ie - DII, DIII, JUCO, NAIA)?  

According to the Appendix E Section 1.b:

An umpire is urged to seek help when his view is blocked or positioning prevents him from seeing crucial elements of a play.  An umpire is also encouraged to seek help in instances when he has any doubt and a partner has additional information that could lead to the proper ruling.

If I am PU and I am not sure, I would ask my partner(s). If my partners had information for me I would hope that they would embrace Appendix E 1.c and approach me unsolicited to alert me to such information. I know I would do the same.

The philosophy has definitively moved toward getting it right rather than sticking with the initial call. 

• Like 1

From the NCAA Central Hub:

Hit By Pitch 7-4-i, 8-2-d-1

A batter who, in the judgment of the umpire, makes a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch, is not awarded first base and a strike is added to the count, regardless of the location of the pitch.

“Freezing” is not considered making a movement to be hit by the pitch if the pitch is within the batter’s box. Getting hit by a pitch within the batter’s box without making any movement would allow the batter to be awarded first base.

This judgment by the umpire cannot be argued. (3-6-f-Notes 1 and 2).

If video review is being utilized, a coach could use one of his challenges to have this situation reviewed. (App. E-2)