foul ball danger chart

D62 blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1860 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Gentlemen , i havent been on the site for a long time , a good economy has kept me very busy (business) along with all gms worked , and other fun in life . I have seen on this site and floating around on the internet in the past , A "chart" in green,yellow,orange , which indicates the potential danger of taking a foul ball direct shot working the plate . The purpose of the chart is to demonstrate the importance of the "proper slot" mechanic and reducing the risk of getting hit . If any one could provide a copy of this chart , that i can download or a link to the same ? I would appreciate it !! Iam teaching a youth clinic and would like to use this material .

Thanks Marc

24 minutes ago, D62 blue said:

TY !

Just had one whiz by my ear in a scrimmage 2 nights ago. My ear was in the green the ball was in the yellow. The RH batter was over the plate. Go up if you can. Down like Guch if you are real good. Or stay in the green and judge the pitch as it’s caught. Don’t go yellow. 

5 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Just had one whiz by my ear in a scrimmage 2 nights ago. My ear was in the green the ball was in the yellow. The RH batter was over the plate. Go up if you can. Down like Guch if you are real good. Or stay in the green and judge the pitch as it’s caught. Don’t go yellow. 

I used to go up when squeezed. I have now become a fan of trying to get under the batters hands.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

What do you do if the batter is way off the plate? Do you move further inside too?

I've never adjusted for the green zone based on the batter, but only based on the catcher. For me, my nose will NEVER be closer to the plate than the edge closest to the batter, but I can always move closer to the batter if needed. If there's a huge gap, say catcher set up outside and the batter sitting in the outside part of his box, then I'm gonna drift a slight bit closer to the batter and hold on, cause there's not much of another body to block a bad pitch or a foul ball straight back.

Worst case scenario:

RHB, lefty F2 who lines up outside the the outside corner and has never caught before. F1 throwing low 90s and has no idea where it's going. You don't even need the batter to swing...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LMSANS said:

Worst case scenario:

RHB, lefty F2 who lines up outside the the outside corner and has never caught before. F1 throwing low 90s and has no idea where it's going. You don't even need the batter to swing...

Suck it up. Literally.