Force 3 V3 Chest Protector - any reviews?

richhardisty
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 731 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have games 10 games this weekend behind the plate(my partner had shoulder surgery and can’t do the plate yet) but I put the CP back in the box on its side so I could see if it would curve to chest and put some weight on the closed box and did curve it a little which made  it not really as boxy as I the first time I tried it on. I will update after this weekend once I wear it in 93 degree humid Florida weather sat and Sunday and will let you guys know about the ventilation, fit, and most importantly protection with pros and cons compared to what I normally  wear the West Vest Gold or Champro varsity soft shell CP depending on level I do.  Thanks for u guys help. I couldn’t find any info besides 1 review here or there and they are dramatically different. So hopefully my review next week will help somebody else out. Thanks again 

• Like 1

I have the f3 shins and mask, but I’ve been hesitant to go to the chest protector due to the “box” and fit issue I’ve seen brought up here and elsewhere (UA website for one). I’m only 5’9” 150 so I need something slim. I currently use the Wilson gold and don’t feel unsafe despite the couch cushion padding. I want the best protection, but haven’t been convinced to replace the gold with the f3. It’s also not a cheap investment if it doesn’t work out. 

48 minutes ago, Thatsnotyou said:

I have the f3 shins and mask, but I’ve been hesitant to go to the chest protector due to the “box” and fit issue I’ve seen brought up here and elsewhere (UA website for one). I’m only 5’9” 150 so I need something slim. I currently use the Wilson gold and don’t feel unsafe despite the couch cushion padding. I want the best protection, but haven’t been convinced to replace the gold with the f3. It’s also not a cheap investment if it doesn’t work out. 

If you’re slim like me (I’m about 6’3 and pretty slim) go with the champion. It’s lean and looks great under the shirt. Sure the plastic in some batches isn’t top notch and may develop hairline cracks, but the whole rig is only $50. A hairline crack isn’t a big deal until it spreads to an edge. So it takes a while for the whole thing to be compromised so you’ll get at least a few seasons out of it. If it ends up cracking, it’s less than one game’s fee to get a new one

2 hours ago, grk17 said:

If you’re slim like me (I’m about 6’3 and pretty slim) go with the champion. It’s lean and looks great under the shirt. Sure the plastic in some batches isn’t top notch and may develop hairline cracks, but the whole rig is only $50. A hairline crack isn’t a big deal until it spreads to an edge. So it takes a while for the whole thing to be compromised so you’ll get at least a few seasons out of it. If it ends up cracking, it’s less than one game’s fee to get a new one

Why would you risk your well being by wearing a chest protector with a crack in it?  What if it takes a shot in that area and fails on you and leaves you in the hospital unable to work at anything?  How about just spend 2 game fees and get something trustworthy.

28 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Guys, I'm 5'10" with a 52" chest.  Go ahead and ship it to me if you want a review from someone not so skinny.

Amen!  I've only got a 48" chest, but I'll test it out too.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:29 PM, Turtle said:

I have them tight but where it boxes out is pretty much at the nipple line of my chest. I did talk to a partner of mine that has one after I posted this and he said after u sweat in it for a little bit it will conform to my chest and not be so boxy. However if I wear it I can’t return it so I wanted a 2nd opinion on it if u could help

I had a conversation with Jason Klein of Force3 in December about this. I discussed the issue that smaller body types have with it fitting just right out of the box. He was adamant that this CP will conform over time. So my advice is to be patient. I hope all goes well.

• Thanks 1

Update on force 3 V3 CP(Compared to the west vest gold and champro varsity soft shell CP) from a tall lanky  perspective and use

So I had 10 games this past weekend all behind the plate and for protection wise in my first game 2inning I took a foul ball shot to the right upper chest and did not feel any pain just the pressure of the hit. No bruising at all. 

FIT&Comfort- it is super light and not bulky and does breath well. The boxiness I had a concern about was not an issue and after two day it started to conform to my chest. The CP did not move and bounce around while running and I did not have to adjust it after pitches or anything as I had it tightly adjusted .(read CON)

I will be wearing the Force3 moving forward with baseball and softball as my primary

-CON the only one I have with it (which I am pretty sure it is my fault) is it rubbed my neck right where my deltoids are , raw on both side(one side I have a mole so that didn’t help) but I do not wear mock turtle neck shirts(which I am ordering) and also I think I had it to tight. I have another tournament this weekend and will loosen it up just a very little bit to see if that will help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 years later...

Got happy this year and treated myself to a new CP after not doing any games last year due to changing day jobs.  Got hit a couple of times before (high school varsity) and didn't feel much.  Friday night, took a shot right at the collarbone.  No bruising. Definitely felt the impact.  It was a combination of pressure mixed with a little pain.  It didn't affect my performance after that, but the area is still sore (somewhat tender to the touch) 3 nights later.  I "might" give it another go before I make up my mind to keep/sell.  Although it doesn't look as sleek, I feel that my All Star cp offers more protection. It handled similar shots much better.  Glad it's still in the garage.