Force 3 V3 Chest Protector - any reviews?

richhardisty
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 752 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello all,

I have been using a West Vest Gold for the past couple of seasons and while the protection has been phenomenal, the whole thing feels bulky and does leave my lower ribs (it is the largest sized of the three sizes Wilson offers) and abdomen exposed. With that in mind, I'm looking at getting a Force 3 protector after reading some of the smaller reviews in places like ump-attire, but was looking to see if anyone had anymore feedback that was a bit more in-depth. Primarily using it for varsity level high school ball

Any help/feedback would be appreciated greatly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richhardisty said:

Hello all,

I have been using a West Vest Gold for the past couple of seasons and while the protection has been phenomenal, the whole thing feels bulky and does leave my lower ribs (it is the largest sized of the three sizes Wilson offers) and abdomen exposed. With that in mind, I'm looking at getting a Force 3 protector after reading some of the smaller reviews in places like ump-attire, but was looking to see if anyone had anymore feedback that was a bit more in-depth. Primarily using it for varsity level high school ball

Hey Rich, its Arik. Always awesome seeing someone on here that I know. This page has been invaluable for my whole umpire career.

As for your question. There are tons of reviews and thoughts on this site about the F3v3. Just do a search for it.

23 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I appreciate that... I've seen this, bet was more interested in guys that have worn this CP and taken a couple of shots off of it. Even Scott here still uses a West Vest, but I like the idea of a slimmer profile but don't want to 100% sacrifice protection.

23 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Hey Rich, its Arik. Always awesome seeing someone on here that I know. This page has been invaluable for my whole umpire career.

As for your question. There are tons of reviews and thoughts on this site about the F3v3. Just do a search for it.

Nice to see you on here too. I tried searching, but there only seemed to be one real review thread for it and it kinda tail off into the weeds so I figured I would see if anyone has some personal experience with it. I've already got it ordered, but I'm just trying to do my due diligence before it arrives.

43 minutes ago, richhardisty said:

I appreciate that... I've seen this, bet was more interested in guys that have worn this CP and taken a couple of shots off of it. Even Scott here still uses a West Vest, but I like the idea of a slimmer profile but don't want to 100% sacrifice protection.

Nice to see you on here too. I tried searching, but there only seemed to be one real review thread for it and it kinda tail off into the weeds so I figured I would see if anyone has some personal experience with it. I've already got it ordered, but I'm just trying to do my due diligence before it arrives.

Good luck brother.

I think 90% of us were scared off by the price tag.  The other 10% with the funds (almost 3 bills!!!) ran after the Jim Evans video - and remain unconvinced that enough changes have been made.  I hear plastic plates were installed, but I can't "see" them. 

F3 needs to give a good number of these to MLB, MiLB, D1, etc. umpires and then have them provide their honest feedback.  It's marketing 101, get your name out there. We don't see these on TV, so most (not all) amateur (read non-professional) umpires are using the wait-and-see approach.  We'll wait until we hear great feedback or a buddy tries it out first, then maybe we'll get one.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:31 AM, richhardisty said:

Hello all,

I used the version 1 for college ball and currently use the version 2 for college ball.  They now come with a good harness which holds it in place really well.  Wore a jacket over it last week and my partner thought I had forgotten to wear a chest protector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

I used the version 1 for college ball and currently use the version 2 for college ball.  They now come with a good harness which holds it in place really well.  Wore a jacket over it last week and my partner thought I had forgotten to wear a chest protector.

Does it do pretty well if you take a shot to the chest/sternum/ribs?

2 hours ago, richhardisty said:

Does it do pretty well if you take a shot to the chest/sternum/ribs?

I've had no issues. I removed stomach pad and the wings.  I've taken numerous hits and am still wearing it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Good luck brother.

I think 90% of us were scared off by the price tag.  The other 10% with the funds (almost 3 bills!!!) ran after the Jim Evans video - and remain unconvinced that enough changes have been made.  I hear plastic plates were installed, but I can't "see" them. 

The price was never that much of an issue for me since I had thought a while ago of buying a new Douglas. What really has scared me away was that Evans video. Even with the addition of a "Blast Shield" I've still shied away. I've asked that we can see a cross section of the protector. But every time I have asked about it. I have been ignored.

There have been reports on here of people being bruised pretty good by shots.  Some report nothing, some report feeling A LOT of a hit .... it depends on who you talk to.  It's not for me, further ... one of my head scratchers is why no one at the MLB level uses this (or MiLB for that matter) AFAIK

4 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

There have been reports on here of people being bruised pretty good by shots.  Some report nothing, some report feeling A LOT of a hit .... it depends on who you talk to.  It's not for me, further ... one of my head scratchers is why no one at the MLB level uses this (or MiLB for that matter) AFAIK

@Thunderheads that may have changed in 2018. Our numbers showed that MiLB umpires were moving to the Force3 V3. It was the 2nd most popular they purchased in 2018. They love the low profile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

The price was never that much of an issue for me since I had thought a while ago of buying a new Douglas. What really has scared me away was that Evans video. Even with the addition of a "Blast Shield" I've still shied away. I've asked that we can see a cross section of the protector. But every time I have asked about it. I have been ignored.

What was it about the video?

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

What was it about the video?

My understanding is that Jim's flinch and ducking out of the way of the pitch a bit so the pitch was only a glancing blow made it a bit less than convincing to the efficacy of the protection.

Couple of things to keep in mind though - 1) That was the first version of the current protector and, for all intents and purposes, it has improved quite a bit... and 2) Even with the protector, it's hard to not naturally react that way with no batter and/or catcher in front of you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richhardisty said:

My understanding is that Jim's flinch and ducking out of the way of the pitch a bit so the pitch was only a glancing blow made it a bit less than convincing to the efficacy of the protection.

Couple of things to keep in mind though - 1) That was the first version of the current protector and, for all intents and purposes, it has improved quite a bit... and 2) Even with the protector, it's hard to not naturally react that way with no batter and/or catcher in front of you.

You nailed it with 2.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:51 AM, kylehutson said:

I've had one for the last year (v2), but (fortunately!) I've not had any really hard shots off it, so I can't really report much.

Anyone remember how long it took to get reports back from people when the original came out? It was almost like the ball was allergic to making contact with the cp. Lol

9 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Anyone remember how long it took to get reports back from people when the original came out? It was almost like the ball was allergic to making contact with the cp. Lol

Same thing with their masks.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, BT_Blue said:

I'd wear crepe paper if it actually prevented me from getting hit.

It's kinda like something I was discussing at the day job last week. If you buy the expensive one, the cheap one probably would have worked just as well, but if you buy the cheap one, you need the expensive one instead.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought the V3 version of the Force3 CP and I am tall and lanky so my chest is not as wide as others. So when trying it on it is boxy across my chest so I was wondering for people that do have it does it break in and conform to your body after a couple of uses?

15 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I bought the V3 version of the Force3 CP and I am tall and lanky so my chest is not as wide as others. So when trying it on it is boxy across my chest so I was wondering for people that do have it does it break in and conform to your body after a couple of uses?

How tight do you have the straps adjusted?

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

How tight do you have the straps adjusted?

I have them tight but where it boxes out is pretty much at the nipple line of my chest. I did talk to a partner of mine that has one after I posted this and he said after u sweat in it for a little bit it will conform to my chest and not be so boxy. However if I wear it I can’t return it so I wanted a 2nd opinion on it if u could help

• Like 1