Pitcher Spins Away from Batter - Legal Delivery?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1892 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

NOC Tonkawa junior college pitcher Trevin Michael's unique windup and delivery has spurred discussion as to its legality as, with his right foot in contact with the pitcher's plate, he spins 360° and away from the batter before throwing the pitch. Is this a balk or a legal maneuver? The following...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

I hope the umpires in his area see this post.

The coach (and I think the player) are replying to people and stating that he uses it when he thinks it's to his advantage, and not on every pitch.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Well, I can't imagine him ever doing it with runners on base, so I'd be surprised if this ever ended up in a "balk" call.

Frankly, he'd be giving the runner an advantage.

Most pitchers will wind-up with R3.

2 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Most pitchers will wind-up with R3.

Until R3 steals home, or gets some other advantage from a big leadoff - in my experience pitchers get burned, and learn that lesson, around the high school level.   Giving R3 too much of a lead, even with infield in.

I'd argue it's no longer "most"...I'd agree that was true up until about 25 years ago...I think today not only most, but the large majority, pitch from the stretch with R3 - except maybe with two out (and only R3).  (not to mention the trend at higher levels for relief pitchers to always pitch from the stretch)

• Thanks 1

Mr. beerguy55, they were describing stealing home as a lost art in 1989. In fact, they were blaming it on Billy Martin who as manager of the Twins turned Rod Carew loose in 1969 to steal home seven times during that season. In an article written by Dave Anderson for the NY Times in April 1989 he tells of Billy Martin teaching Carew to take advantage of pitchers who had long windups. Carew’s success actually hastened a change in how pitchers delivered the pitch with a runner on third base. Here’s the title of the article and a link--

Sports of The Times; Why Nobody Steals Home Anymore

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/04/16/sports/sports-of-the-times-why-nobody-steals-home-anymore.html

• Thanks 1