Tag-up Responsibilities

sthomas13100
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1866 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 man, less than 2 outs, R1 & R2.  On tag up responsibilities, PU has runner at 2nd and BU has runner at 1st base is what I have always believed to be the case.  This past weekend, was told BU has the tag up at 2nd along with catch/no catch in the cone, PU would have tag up at 1st, but PU has the call at 3rd if he comes.  I have looked in my FED umpires manual and can't seem to find it. 

I've only been umpiring for about 5 years at the HS level, please clarify.

Thanks

Can't speak for FED, but any code I've used has BU covering R1 and R2 tag-ups. Like you said, on any fly ball that doesn't bring F9 toward the line, PU has to be ready to cover 3B on the tag-up. Therefore, he's not getting a good view of any tag up. Meanwhile, BU is lining up the catch with R2 and watching that tag-up, then making a quick glance to R1 after ball is touched.

Umpires always get confused on who has which "tag-ups" and who has which runners trying to advance.  Sometimes, it's caused by poor terminology at training sessions.

And, whatever is decided / appropriate for a given organization (I agree with the above, but recognize that some organizations might do it differently), PU can help BU out by looking where BU isn't looking (or can't look).  (And, BU can help PU out.)

• Like 1

Whatever the various manuals indicate are helpful, but the best advice I have received on all coverage/rotation issues is to have a good pregame to make sure everyone is on the same page and to communicate with each other when on the field. The communication should be pre-pitch with signalling as well as verbal communication during the play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sthomas13100 said:

2 man, less than 2 outs, R1 & R2.  On tag up responsibilities, PU has runner at 2nd and BU has runner at 1st base is what I have always believed to be the case.  This past weekend, was told BU has the tag up at 2nd along with catch/no catch in the cone, PU would have tag up at 1st, but PU has the call at 3rd if he comes.  I have looked in my FED umpires manual and can't seem to find it. 

I've only been umpiring for about 5 years at the HS level, please clarify.

Thanks

The 2019 FED manual still has the PU covering R2s tag at 2B even though the PU will be running down the line in case of a play at 3B. Page 53 in the manual. What you were told is an non FED sanctioned improvement as to the BU lining up R2s tag. All other codes have the BU also take R1s tag but as @noumpere says most PUs will help at 1B if they can even though BU is primary for both tags. I heard a rumor that FED enlisted Jim Evans to revise their mechanics. I guess it didn't happen @lawump.

34 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I heard a rumor that FED enlisted Jim Evans to revise their mechanics. I guess it didn't happen @lawump.

Why? You could get better feedback doing surveys of your officials. Most of whom don't even use the Fed book.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, ilyazhito said:

My association has U1 covering the tag-ups at 1B and 2B, along with advances by R1. We don't use NFHS mechanics, rather a combination of PBUC and CCA mechanics. 

Ditto here in Washington and Oregon. Oregon even has a term for it though it is basically the exact same as CCA. They call it "Oregon Modified."

On 2/11/2019 at 12:32 PM, Jimurray said:

I heard a rumor that FED enlisted Jim Evans to revise their mechanics. I guess it didn't happen @lawump.

That is one wild rumor that is most certainly not true.  I wish it were; I'd love to spend a couple of days with him in Indianapolis doing nothing but talking umpiring.  But, alas, I haven't even heard this rumor...much less it actually being discussed as a possibility among the committee. 

As mentioned, the runners 'tagging up' is not the same as them advancing to the next base. In this situation, U1 has all runners tagging up, PU has R2 advancing to third.  Catch/no-catch doesn't change, Fair/foul doesn't change. PU needs to tell U1 if he's stuck on the line on a fair/foul to RF. 

• Like 1