2019 NCAA Test Question

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1875 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is the only one that I am really confused about.  Thoughts?

Which of the following persons would be required to wear a double earflap protective helmet while bringing game balls onto the field or retrieving bats?

a. An assistant coach

b. A player who is not currently in the lineup

c. An 11-year-old boy who is serving as a batboy

d. A trainer who helps briefly while the batboy is at the concession stand

e. b and c

f. None of the above if they are careful.

38 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

I was just going to ask about that. I heard that there weren't any video questions...were any reasons given why they moved away from those this year? 

There’s plenty of video plays in the preseason rules video plus some foot stompers. With the rules changed video questions might generate confusion. Presenting them in the presentation with the correct ruling works better this year. I bet there will be video questions in the future. 

So I took my first NCAA test today. Passed..Got 3 wrong. 

Question- If I go in and retake my test, will the questions be in the same order as my first test? I didn't copy it, I just took it and submitted. Or do I have to wait until after the testing period to review and see which ones I got wrong? 

• Like 1

I can't clearly answer your first question. In the past, questions were mixed up, sometimes answers were mixed up, sometimes both. The question posted above by the OP has the answers in the same order as my test. The only way to find out is to start the second chance at the test. You won't find out which ones you missed until after the testing period. We all want to be perfect but getting only three wrong, 94%, is good. Especially for your first time.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Richvee said:

So I took my first NCAA test today. Passed..Got 3 wrong. 

Question- If I go in and retake my test, will the questions be in the same order as my first test? I didn't copy it, I just took it and submitted. Or do I have to wait until after the testing period to review and see which ones I got wrong? 

There is a workaround where you can see your test again before NCAA closes it. I know this because I didn’t get a 100. RTFQ. They will email you your score and question #s missed. With chrome browser go to history and search for NCAA. Among the results you can see the test page. Click on it and you will see your test and check the questions that you missed. You will have to surmise the correct answer but it probably will be obvious

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Forest Ump said:

I can't clearly answer your first question. In the past, questions were mixed up, sometimes answers were mixed up, sometimes both. The question posted above by the OP has the answers in the same order as my test. The only way to find out is to start the second chance at the test. You won't find out which ones you missed until after the testing period. We all want to be perfect but getting only three wrong, 94%, is good. Especially for your first time.

Thanks. I could wait til the closes. I’m just impatient. Using my history only brought me to the the home page. Didn’t want to mess around navigating  from that old page. I’ll wait.  

Have 3 I'm not totally sure of, any guidance appreciated as always.

In order to be considered “in the act of fielding”, the throw:

a.Must be on target and arriving at approximately the same time as the runner.

b.Can be within about 60 feet on the way toward the play. At that time, the fielder can block the pathway of the runner.

c.Must be in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw.

d.All of the above.

e.a and c.

About all I'm finding on this one is below but I've talked to others who thought E was correct.  

Note 1  If the fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw, he may be considered “in the act of fielding the ball.”

F8 leaps high to attempt to catch B1's long fly ball. His momentum causes him to crash into the fence. The ball pops out of his glove and goes over the fence in center field.

a.Home run.

b.Two-base award for B1.

c.Three-base award for B1.

d.Legal catch

Not finding any rulebook case on this one.  

R1, R3, 1 out. The pitcher steps toward 3rd, fakes a throw, then immediately turns and throws to 1st base. The pickoff attempt goes over F3’s head and rolls toward right field in foul territory. R3 scores and R1 is thrown out at 3rd trying to advance there.

a.Balk is called. Let play continue but if R1 is put out at 3rd, call “Time” and put him back at 2nd.

b.Balk is called but “Time” is not called until all play has ceased. R3 scores and R1 is out.

c.Legal play.

d.Balk for faking a throw to 3rd base. Call “Time” immediately and nullify any further play

Appears they probably want B here according to the rule below but I know I've seen this discussed where some interps say the ball is dead when the pitcher fails to throw to third.

(2) If a balk immediately is followed by a wild throw by the pitcher to a base that permits a runner(s) to advance to or beyond the base to which that runner is entitled, the balk shall be acknowledged. The umpire will call the balk in the usual manner, but shall not call "Time" until all play has ceased (runners have stopped trying to advance and/or a fielder is in possession of the ball in the infield).

52 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Thanks. I could wait til the closes. I’m just impatient. Using my history only brought me to the the home page. Didn’t want to mess around navigating  from that old page. I’ll wait.  

If you click on the preseason test line you will get an Arbiter page with the question numbers. Double click on any number and the question will pop up. Or wait:)

test.jpg

41 minutes ago, zoops said:

b.Can be within about 60 feet on the way toward the play. At that time, the fielder can block the pathway of the runner.

c.Must be in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw.

d.All of the above.

e.a and c.

About all I'm finding on this one is below but I've talked to others who thought E was correct.  

Note 1  If the fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw, he may be considered “in the act of fielding the ball.”

F8 leaps high to attempt to catch B1's long fly ball. His momentum causes him to crash into the fence. The ball pops out of his glove and goes over the fence in center field.

a.Home run.

b.Two-base award for B1.

d.Legal catch

R1, R3, 1 out. The pitcher steps toward 3rd, fakes a throw, then immediately turns and throws to 1st base. The pickoff attempt goes over F3’s head and rolls toward right field in foul territory. R3 scores and R1 is thrown out at 3rd trying to advance there.

a.Balk is called. Let play continue but if R1 is put out at 3rd, call “Time” and put him back at 2nd.

b.Balk is called but “Time” is not called until all play has ceased. R3 scores and R1 is out.

c.Legal play.

d.Balk for faking a throw to 3rd base. Call “Time” immediately and nullify any further play

Appears they probably want B here according to the rule below but I know I've seen this discussed where some interps say the ball is dead when the pitcher fails to throw to third.

(2) If a balk immediately is followed by a wild throw by the pitcher to a base that permits a runner(s) to advance to or beyond the base to which that runner is entitled, the balk shall be acknowledged. The umpire will call the balk in the usual manner, but shall not call "Time" until all play has ceased (runners have stopped trying to advance and/or a fielder is in possession of the ball in the infield).

The rules video adds "a" to the act of fielding.

That's a HR in any code.

They do not want you to call time even though the balk was to 3B but the throw was to 1B. Whether OBR calls it like that I don't know but why punish the offense for a defense mistake, until the offense runs past their protection and then the defense gets some benefit. 

38 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

If you click on the preseason test line you will get an Arbiter page with the question numbers. Double click on any number and the question will pop up. Or wait:)

Strange..My history only shows the test Dashboard page. I can wait :)

1 hour ago, zoops said:

d.All of the above.

e.a and c.

a.Home run.

b.Two-base award for B1.

d.Legal catch

c.Legal play.

The first one is one I got wrong. 

I thought the key to #3 was the use of the word immediately in both the question and rulebook note.  

3 hours ago, Richvee said:

The first one is one I got wrong. 

I thought the key to #3 was the use of the word immediately in both the question and rulebook note.  

The first one you had to listen very carefully to the rules video to add that into the equation and I am still confused. In #3 I thought the same as you but am not concerned if they want it called like that. Can'y get rid of the previous screenshot that does not relate to this post.

image.png

Question #34:  A team receives one extra defensive and offensive charge conference for each extra inning played.  True or False?

Rule 6 -Sec. 5-f reads:  If the game goes into extra innings, the team will receive one extra defensive and one extra offensive conference plus any unused conferences from the first nine innings.  

According to this rule, the answer is false.  Just checking to see if I missed anything at the clinics, as I was unable to attend due to weather.  

1 minute ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Question #34:  A team receives one extra defensive and offensive charge conference for each extra inning played.  True or False?

Rule 6 -Sec. 5-f reads:  If the game goes into extra innings, the team will receive one extra defensive and one extra offensive conference plus any unused conferences from the first nine innings.  

According to this rule, the answer is false.  Just checking to see if I missed anything at the clinics, as I was unable to attend due to weather.  

False.

1 hour ago, humanbackstop19 said:

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

False.

I always get this one confused with the FED rule. The FED one is the one that allows 1 offensive and 1 defensive per inning, correct?

6 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I always get this one confused with the FED rule. The FED one is the one that allows 1 offensive and 1 defensive per inning, correct?

That's exactly why I'm asking.  Making sure I didn't miss something like I did on all the charged conference situations.  

1 hour ago, humanbackstop19 said:

I read this as true. Each team does receive one extra O & D conference per extra innings.