Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
grayhawk

2019 NCAA Test Question

I don't know why, but for me, this one caused me some consternation:  

True/False: It is permissible to pause briefly during a delivery from the windup position, but not when using a set position.

I know they cause pause from the windup (9-1a Note 2), but they must stop when using the set, unless no one is on (9-1b Note 2).  So I'm just confused!

Thanks, Bob

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
13 hours ago, zoops said:

Have 3 I'm not totally sure of, any guidance appreciated as always.

F8 leaps high to attempt to catch B1's long fly ball. His momentum causes him to crash into the fence. The ball pops out of his glove and goes over the fence in center field.

a.Home run.

b.Two-base award for B1.

c.Three-base award for B1.

d.Legal catch

Not finding any rulebook case on this one.  

I always think of Canseco when I read these plays. Look at rule 10-6-A. Also 2-16 for additional support.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forest Ump said:

I read this as true. Each team does receive one extra O & D conference per extra innings.

Not, iirc, in NCAA -- it's one, total, no matter how many extra innings are played.

• Like 1

OK OK I get it. No need to keep repeating yourself.:lol: Only one D & O conference per team plus leftover conferences no matter how many extra innings.Thanks, I had totally misinterpreted that one. 

@noumpere, I didn't quite get it. In NCAA, they get two extra conferences each half-inning, right? :cheers:

4 hours ago, scubabob34 said:

Missed this on first try.  

Question #29:  Which of the following situations would create a charged defensive conference?

• a.

• An infielder comes to the mound to use the rosin bag and engages in a conversation with the pitcher.

• b.

• In a possible bunt situation, the first baseman walks to the mound and confers with the pitcher.

• c.

• A coach goes to the mound, visits for a few seconds, then signals for a relief pitcher to enter the game.

• d.

• The catcher is crossed up by a pitch and requests to visit the pitcher to clarify signs. His team has not used up all their allotted charged conferences.

• e.

• a and b.

• f.

• a,b,and d.

3 hours ago, noumpere said:

user error (and, tbh, software error, but I'll take the hit).  Delete all the dups, please.

Got ya covered... @noumpere

19 hours ago, zoops said:

F8 leaps high to attempt to catch B1's long fly ball. His momentum causes him to crash into the fence. The ball pops out of his glove and goes over the fence in center field.

a.Home run.

b.Two-base award for B1.

c.Three-base award for B1.

d.Legal catch

Not finding any rulebook case on this one. 

Though I know the answer, I think there's process of elimination here.   And I think the references, and all you need, are all in definitions -  fair ball, foul ball, catch and in flight, as well as the award of home base.

Ignoring the ball going over the fence...if the ball pops out and hits the ground and/or goes out of play is there any scenario where it's a legal catch?  Can't be D.  Definition of a catch, if nothing else.

Use definition of "in flight"  and fair territory (CF) to eliminate B...ball touched in fair territory, goes over fence in foul territory would be B (I think). 

Very few  rules have a three base award - this isn't one of them....eliminate C.

Fair ball goes over fence in fair territory, in flight - HR

11 hours ago, Forest Ump said:

I read this as true. Each team does receive one extra O & D conference per extra innings.

nevermind...answered multiple times. 

7 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

The catcher is crossed up by a pitch and requests to visit the pitcher to clarify signs. His team has not used up all their allotted charged conferences.

This is where I got stuck. I found this in the document called 2019 & 2020 NCAA RULE CHANGES DOCUMENT WITH ANSWERS FROM RANDY BRUNS, NCAA SECRETARY-RULES EDITOR

Q. In the event of a cross-up can the catcher visit without penalty?

A. A conference is charged for the catcher to go out to talk to the pitcher if conferences remain.  If all 6 conferences have been used and the umpire feels it is important from a safety perspective that the catcher and pitcher make sure they are on the same page giving and receiving signals, the plate umpire can direct the catcher to go out for a quick conference.  The umpire will accompany the catcher much like they treat a potential injury to the pitcher.  As long as the signals are quickly confirmed, there is no penalty

19 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Question #29:  Which of the following situations would create a charged defensive conference?

• a.

• An infielder comes to the mound to use the rosin bag and engages in a conversation with the pitcher.

• b.

• In a possible bunt situation, the first baseman walks to the mound and confers with the pitcher.

• c.

• A coach goes to the mound, visits for a few seconds, then signals for a relief pitcher to enter the game.

• d.

• The catcher is crossed up by a pitch and requests to visit the pitcher to clarify signs. His team has not used up all their allotted charged conferences.

• e.

• a and b.

• f.

• a,b,and d.

I'd go all but c on that one (so choice F)

• Like 1

Just to be sure, the guideline given by Tom Hiler (I believe) a year or two ago about blocking the base if the incoming throw is within 60' of the base is now gone?

In order to be considered “in the act of fielding”, the throw:

a.Must be on target and arriving at approximately the same time as the runner.

b.Can be within about 60 feet on the way toward the play. At that time, the fielder can block the pathway of the runner.

c.Must be in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw.

d.All of the above.

e.a and c.

This one bothers me because the rule is listed in section 6-2-d Immediate Dead Ball

Backswing interference following a swing and a miss by the batter always causes the ball to become dead immediately.
  • a.
    • True
  • b. False

Backswing interference is ignored if the catchers throw retires the runner. In this case it's treated as a delayed dead ball. So the answer must be false. Any arguments?

6 hours ago, zoops said:

Just to be sure, the guideline given by Tom Hiler (I believe) a year or two ago about blocking the base if the incoming throw is within 60' of the base is now gone?

In order to be considered “in the act of fielding”, the throw:

a.Must be on target and arriving at approximately the same time as the runner.

b.Can be within about 60 feet on the way toward the play. At that time, the fielder can block the pathway of the runner.

c.Must be in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw.

d.All of the above.

e.a and c.

Just to be sure, you did watch the rules video?

4 hours ago, Forest Ump said:

This one bothers me because the rule is listed in section 6-2-d Immediate Dead Ball

Backswing interference following a swing and a miss by the batter always causes the ball to become dead immediately.

• a.
    • True

• b. False

Backswing interference is ignored if the catchers throw retires the runner. In this case it's treated as a delayed dead ball. So the answer must be false. Any arguments?

False, unless they changed the term to follow through interference. 

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

False, unless they changed the term to follow through interference. 

Nope. No follow through INT . ;) there's a section on this in the rules video as well 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 7.48.17 PM.jpg

I think @Richvee referenced that part of the rules video and as far as “watching” he did not refer to that he just said the rules video has a section on that. If watched and LISTENED to they continued to state the exception of if the catcher got off a throw. About 7:00 in the video with the slide still showing. 

My encouragement to watch should be changed to watch and LISTEN regarding when a fielder is in the act of fielding. That will allow you to answer that test question. It will not alleviate any of your or my confusion as to why they added that strange criteria.

• Like 1

I think we all realize there’s no rule change here. What I got out of the video was just clarifying a play similar to the NLCS. play.....swing and a miss, PB/WP, backswing makes contact with F2 or his mitt. Kill it, runners return.

Backswing INT,  F2 catches and tries to throw out a stealing runner still called the same as ever. If the initial throw doesn’t retire the runner, then kill it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Just to be sure, you did watch the rules video?

Yes; didn't hear any reference to it in the video - just that the new interp is more restrictive.  Just wanted to make sure, sorry for wasting your time.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:47 PM, humanbackstop19 said:

• a.

• b.

• c.

• d.

• e.

• a and b.

• f.

• a,b,and d.

f

Preface:  I know that I tend to over-analyze...

The defensive team decides to walk B4 intentionally. What are the options?
A. Throw 4 pitches outside the strike zone.
B. The defensive head coach may signal the umpire to send B4 to 1st base anytime during the at bat.
C. The defensive head coach may signal to send B4 to 1st base only before the first pitch of the at-bat.
D. a and b.
E. a and c.    

For how many years was an IBB four pitches outside the zone? A coach can decide at any time to issue the pass, but is an IBB still an IBB when the pitcher throws pitches?

There is no specific definition of an intentional base on balls. The definition of a base on balls has "a signal ..from..the coach ..to intentionally walk the batter."  Does that preclude a pitched IBB?

2 hours ago, zoops said:

Yes; didn't hear any reference to it in the video - just that the new interp is more restrictive.  Just wanted to make sure, sorry for wasting your time.

I guess you mean no reference to 60' in the video. There is an "on line and on time" foot stomper in the video, starting about 13:00, which allowed me to correctly answer e, a + c for the question. But I am confused about the addition on line and on time.

22 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

Preface:  I know that I tend to over-analyze...

The defensive team decides to walk B4 intentionally. What are the options?
A. Throw 4 pitches outside the strike zone.
B. The defensive head coach may signal the umpire to send B4 to 1st base anytime during the at bat.
C. The defensive head coach may signal to send B4 to 1st base only before the first pitch of the at-bat.
D. a and b.
E. a and c.    

For how many years was an IBB four pitches outside the zone? A coach can decide at any time to issue the pass, but is an IBB still an IBB when the pitcher throws pitches?

There is no specific definition of an intentional base on balls. The definition of a base on balls has "a signal ..from..the coach ..to intentionally walk the batter."  Does that preclude a pitched IBB?

To specifically answer your question about throwing four pitches. At our preseason meeting we were told that you could still do the 4 pitches on an IBB but why would you?