2019 NCAA Test Question

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1896 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

3 minutes ago, LineyNinja said:

To specifically answer your question about throwing four pitches. At our preseason meeting we were told that you could still do the 4 pitches on an IBB but why would you?

It's an option play. Lots of teams will intentionally throw four pitches out of the zone in an effort to get the batter to chase a pitch out of the zone. That's one example. 

Otherwise, yes, under obvious intentional walks, they won't pitch to the batter. 

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

Preface:  I know that I tend to over-analyze...

The defensive team decides to walk B4 intentionally. What are the options?
A. Throw 4 pitches outside the strike zone.
B. The defensive head coach may signal the umpire to send B4 to 1st base anytime during the at bat.
C. The defensive head coach may signal to send B4 to 1st base only before the first pitch of the at-bat.
D. a and b.
E. a and c.    

For how many years was an IBB four pitches outside the zone? A coach can decide at any time to issue the pass, but is an IBB still an IBB when the pitcher throws pitches?

There is no specific definition of an intentional base on balls. The definition of a base on balls has "a signal ..from..the coach ..to intentionally walk the batter."  Does that preclude a pitched IBB?

There is only one statement that is false in that list of answers.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, LineyNinja said:

At our preseason meeting we were told that you could still do the 4 pitches on an IBB but why would you?

Practice, work out some tightness

Give pitcher in bullpen more time to warm up

Some other need to delay a decision a little longer

Entice the batter to swing or do something stupid

Provide opportunity for pick off from catcher or pitcher for inattentive runner

Is there anyway for an uninitiated like me to take this test and/or the FED one?  Really out of morbid curiosity if nothing else - and maybe a certain degree of self loathing and sadism.  I'd want to take it blind based on my general knowledge of the game and see how far it would take me.

54 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Is there anyway for an uninitiated like me to take this test and/or the FED one?  Really out of morbid curiosity if nothing else - and maybe a certain degree of self loathing and sadism.  I'd want to take it blind based on my general knowledge of the game and see how far it would take me.

You can sign up on the NCAA Arbiter site for $120. You get the rulebook, CCA manual and access to a bunch of videos. I think you would select other or JUCO as your conference. 

• Thanks 1