Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Mister B

video of Timmons hit

Question

Trying to sell a friend on the F3, and wanted him to see the shot that Timmons took without missing a beat. But I can't seem to locate it. Can anyone help?

Thanks. 

12 answers to this question

Is this the one you had in mind?--Boston at Tampa Bay on 3-13-16. Found it by searching the term Tim Timmons getting hit by a pitch

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

No, there was a play at home and after taking the hit, he was right on top of the play. IIRC, it happened this spring.

6 hours ago, udbrky said:

holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  102 and he didn't flinch?!?  Impressive, I must say ...........

gnhbua93 chiming in ....... 5,.........4,...........3,.................2

31 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  102 and he didn't flinch?!?  Impressive, I must say ...........

gnhbua93 chiming in ....... 5,.........4,...........3,.................2

At 102, there's no time to flinch.

He looked a bit shaken, taking two tries to get his mask off and not pivoting with F2 as he turned to get the ball.

15 minutes ago, yawetag said:

At 102, there's no time to flinch.

He looked a bit shaken, taking two tries to get his mask off and not pivoting with F2 as he turned to get the ball.

ok, ok ...flinch was the wrong word ...... he didn't appear to stumble or react much to a 102mph hit .... there :nod: 

I wonder if umpires are a little more skittish  when Sanchez is catching.

He is the Nuke-La-Loosh of F2's.  You are never quite sure if he is going to catch it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, conbo61 said:

I wonder if umpires are a little more skittish  when Sanchez is catching.

He is the Nuke-La-Loosh of F2's.  You are never quite sure if he is going to catch it.

Very true - however, at 102, if you're looking low and away and your F1 comes with up and in, no MLB player that ever wore the tools of ignorance makes that catch.

At 100 mph the ball reaches the plate faster than the signal from your eye reaches your brain.   

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

At 100 mph the ball reaches the plate faster than the signal from your eye reaches your brain.   

Source? Napkin math tells me a 100mph ball will travel between rubber and plate in about 0.4 seconds. According to a quick Google search, it takes about 0.15 to 0.2 seconds for a person to "recognize" an image to our brain from our eye.

If your statement is correct, anyone hitting a 100mph fastball is just guessing and getting lucky.

5 hours ago, yawetag said:

Source? Napkin math tells me a 100mph ball will travel between rubber and plate in about 0.4 seconds. According to a quick Google search, it takes about 0.15 to 0.2 seconds for a person to "recognize" an image to our brain from our eye.

If your statement is correct, anyone hitting a 100mph fastball is just guessing and getting lucky.

Although, for all intents and purposes, "guessing" is not an entirely inaccurate description, I kind of garbled a couple of different statements.  Mainly, the pitch does get there in the blink of an eye.  (at 100 mph the ball gets to the plate in roughly the same amount of time it takes you to close and open your eyelid).   If you blink, you will miss the pitch.

Watching a 100 mph fastball come at you your eye/brain kind of achieves that frame rate kind of equivalent  to wheels on film looking like they're spinning backwards...the ball's going faster than you can process, so we don't actually see the ball the whole way, we really more anticipate where it's going, and your brain fills in the gaps.

At that speed, when you see the ball it's moved about 15 feet from where you saw it, so make no mistake, there"s guesswork in there.

I've batted against pitchers who threw in the low 90's, and even at that speed the ball seems to "hop" through space, optically skipping several feet at once - I can only imagine what 100 looks (or doesn't look) like.

In the end, what you're left with is, just under 0.4 seconds for the ball to reach the plate, about 0.15 seconds for your brain to catch up, about 0.15 seconds to complete your swing (or perhaps move your mitt five feet) - leaving you about a tenth of a second to react when the typical reaction time of an adult in their prime is almost twice that.   Hence, why every major league batter starts their swing on every pitch (except for 'takes').

So, yes, there is some guessing and luck.  I've heard MLB players say of Randy Johnson that they're just sending the bat through the strike zone and hoping the ball hits it...at 6'10" and 100 mph.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.