Car storage

kylehutson
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1899 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I now have a LOT of shirts. Let's just say the chances of me not being able to match my partner is pretty negligible, unless they're going out of their way to do something really oddball (camo or burnt orange or ... really strange). I'm up around 20 - too many to fit in my equipment bag and still leave room for everything else that needs to be there. So how do you keep all those in your cars? My car is a 2-seater hatchback, so putting up a rod and hangers can't happen, even if I wanted it to.

I've thought of getting one of those under-bed storage containers? Or maybe just two large sheets of cardboard, which I could put on the "floor" of the hatchback, one for the bottom of the shirts and one for the top. Opinions?

57 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

Call/text/email your partner a day or two in advance and arrange what you’re going to wear.

No need to have uniforms hanging in your car...a great way to get your car vandalized. 

Agreed. Even if you were going on a road trip for a weekend set you don’t need to bring everything. For local games when working a DH I’ll bring two of the same style shirt or long sleeve jersey and jacket depending on the weather. Base pants and plate pants. If I am unsure if I will have a locker room I’ll hang every on a rod in my back seat. If I know I will have a locker room I fold everything into the bottom compartment of my rolling gear bag. On road trips, uniforms are usually mandated by the league or conference so we have one of two colors but I will bring 2 base and 2 plate pants in case of blowout. I then do laundry at the hotel after the games and clean and polish my shoes while I wait and eat pizza

Like you, @kylehutson, I’m a hatchback umpire. For the weekend tourneys – 4+ games per day, for 3 days at a go – I routinely bring as many shirts as reasonably possible. Obviously, weather is a big factor, but also, at tournaments I’m one of those guys who has everything “in case”. I have a spare mask, spare shinguard straps, spare hats, etc. all in case an umpire is lacking, loses, or has something break (or tear). So, all my standard stuff is in my Fūl Workhorse rolling duffel, all the spare parts are in a super-cheap tyvek zipper bag from IKEA, and my shirts are all carried in one of these:

Bags for Less Premium Quality Black Garment Travel and Storage Breathable Bag 26” x 60" x 5” with Zipper & Metal Eyehole and Carry Handles for Folding for Suits, Tuxedos, Dresses, Coats & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9FHOOQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cy4nCb7K2RCS8

A slightly smaller version for shirts-only might appeal to you:

Gusset Travel Garment Bag, SPARKSOR 40" Breathable Suit Covers Carrier Bag with Handles, Foldover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYXTWGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9y4nCbZNQXYH6

Actually, now that I have a Plate Coat, I may get this here more robust version:

WallyBags Luggage 40" Garment Bag, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AB286S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_LK4nCbXY6WQ1Q

With these last two, you can lay the shirts & jackets in the bag and then fold the bag like a taco.

Mmmm... tacos... it’s Thursday.

• Like 1

I am also trying to focus a bit more on my car packing this season to stay organized. I've got a standard 4 door car with a trunk. I have a Diamond bag and put my undershirts, tights, under armour etc. in the bottom compartment. The top has always held my pants/shirts/jackets. The big equipment just kind of floats in the back of the trunk, behind the bag. I don't carry the bag around much at all (HS schedule, parking lot locker room). I keep all my extras in the back seat in some duffel bags. The main problem with my set up is that if I don't wear a shirt or pair of pants for a while, sometimes you can see the nice folded creases from being in the bag for a while. I'm debating buying a couple garment bags and just laying them down on the back seat. I don't really want to put a rod up if I can help it. I don't want the obstruction back there at all times while driving.

Though I try to coordinate with my partner the day before, I'd rather just have a ready-to-go car at all times. What if they forgot that colored shirt, even though it was discussed? What if my partner changes day-of-game? Pray we both packed the same single shirt that day?

I also don't completely unpack the car when I get home. I don't see the point, as I'm going to re-pack it in a couple hours, or rush to do it the next morning. Take out the dirty stuff, air out the shoes or whatever else needs to come out, then pack a bag inside with the stuff that needs to go back out.

8 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

@kylehutson get a new car/truck

I just did!

While the minivan did have more room for storage, it was dying, and I'm *really* liking the 40mpg from my new (to me) hybrid a lot better than the 17mpg the minivan got. And considering I'm starting some college ball this spring, I'm anticipating putting on a lot more miles than I have the past few years.

True story: when I went to look at the new car, I brought my umpire bag with me, because if *that* didn't fit, it would be a non-starter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

See the source image

I wouldn't even mind driving something this ugly (yeah, I said it) if it actually got fantastic gas mileage. I looked at those, and do you know what they get? 32. My daughter's Civic gets better than that, and it has a (small) back seat and a trunk.

3 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

See the source image

Also, I looked at a Pontiac Solstice - it *didn't* have room for my umpire bag (without taking the entire passenger seat), so that one was right out.

18 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I opted for the Hyundia Accent.  4 doors, hatch, equipment bag fits in the back, room in the backseat for a bar to hang shirts, jackets  and pants, and I’m getting 38-40 mpg  

I rented an Accent last summer. I was ... underwhelmed. Maybe the biggest sticking point was that I didn't even know you could rent cars without cruise control these days, and I put over 3k miles on in a week.

My new one is a Honda CR-Z. https://photos.app.goo.gl/iHgLHhk47K6sC3iS7 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

I rented an Accent last summer. I was ... underwhelmed. Maybe the biggest sticking point was that I didn't even know you could rent cars without cruise control these days, and I put over 3k miles on in a week.

Understandable. It’s a basic car. I do, however, have cruise control  Other than a very underwhelming sound system, I’m real happy with mine. The Honda is a nice car. Congrats. 

We have an older Scion XB, since it's the family car, I can't modify it for Umpiring, but it's a really great rig. Good gas mileage, lots of space. We got ours used from CA, so the original owner had the back windows tinted very dark. It's a PITA to back up at night, but it's nearly impossible to see into the back of the car at any time. The back seat splits, so you can fit 3 in the car with plenty of room for gear. Plus it's actually pretty fun to drive. With the back hatch up, you can sit in the back and have a canopy. 

I have a friend who's 6'4" who prefers to ride in the back seat, as it's one of the few cars that he can fit in the back seat. Both legroom and headroom wise. 

13 minutes ago, Mister B said:

We have an older Scion XB

This, the current Xb, the KIA Sol, and the Dodge Caliber are perhaps the "ideal" lone-umpire-on-the-go vehicles. The Scions may be shaped like a box, but that lends well to the ease of using it for umpiring. I lump the Sol and Caliber in there because they are hatchbacks, too, which means you have one "common" or continuous cargo space. I myself have a MINI Countryman ALL4 (my 2nd one), and it has saved my bacon several times in regards to all the activities and officiating I do. But the best part, and where you BIG TRUCK guys can go stuff it? – it gets 32mpg, so I'm not burning my game fees on gettin' there and back.

Ideally, if I was going to make my "perfect" umpiring vehicle from an existing model on the market, I'd get a Ford Transit Connect.

16_transit_connect-vehicle.png

• Like 4

I drive an 04 Honda Accord, which gets solid mpg, and trunk is waaayy bigger than it looks. I can fit my Diamond 33" gear bag, my lawnchair, EZ-up, cooler, and my other vehicle essentials (emergency kit, med bag, jumper cables, etc.) no problem and room to spare. I would highly recommend this or a newer Honda Pilot, which has an aircraft hanger for a backseat when you fold the seats down. Would highly suggest these for the umpires that have families or just need a daily driver for home to game sites.

BR

22 hours ago, kylehutson said:

3K A WEEK?!?!?!?

On 1/10/2019 at 9:01 PM, kylehutson said:

I just did!

While the minivan did have more room for storage, it was dying, and I'm *really* liking the 40mpg from my new (to me) hybrid a lot better than the 17mpg the minivan got. And considering I'm starting some college ball this spring, I'm anticipating putting on a lot more miles than I have the past few years.

True story: when I went to look at the new car, I brought my umpire bag with me, because if *that* didn't fit, it would be a non-starter.

I went from a Chrysler 300 to a Honda Insight.  I also took my umpire equipment and I love having great gas mileage.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 10:43 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

A guy I worked with a few times has this Decked system in his truck for his uniforms and gear. I thought it was the most awesome thing I've seen. If I still had my truck I'd get this decked system. https://decked.com/

image.png

:wow2::censored2: I need a "head exploding" emoji!

That thing is awesome!