Officials Depot vs Ump attire

Jglopez7
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1890 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The other option out there is the Adams black convertible jacket with a button on the chest pocket. So without seeing the OD jacket there is 3 options out. Not loosing faith that after Majestic see that the shirts sells come back and revive the jackets and make them available to mortals.

21 hours ago, Jglopez7 said:

Has anyone purchased the black jacket from officials depot ? And any suggestions for the Smitty jacket sold by ump attire. I’m asking due to price differentials between the two. 

D37BB7C5-CDF2-475D-BE94-E998DE8CA7A6.jpeg

5DB370E8-8A99-4D23-B83D-93F6ABD10289.jpeg

Thanks for mentioning us on the Smitty convertible.

This jacket has a 4.5 star rating from umpires (Majestic had 5).

It is worn by umpires in Minor League Baseball and NCAA conferences including the SEC and ACC.

This jacket was placed on sale today for $39.99. 

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Jackets/S326_Smitty-Convertible-Umpire-Jacket-Black

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, JimKirk said:

It is worn by umpires in Minor League Baseball and NCAA conferences including the SEC and ACC.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Jackets/S326_Smitty-Convertible-Umpire-Jacket-Black

Great! Making my purchase today! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JimKirk said:

@JimKirk I know you work with Majestic. Is there any hope for us young guys to be able to get our hands on the Majestic jacket? 

Has the Smitty jacket changed over the past couple of years? The ratings on UA from 2016 are lower and and there were some negative comments about the feel of the material and breathability. The more recent comments seem more positive. Just wondered if there were changes to the material over the past couple of years.

49 minutes ago, mwest5575 said:

Has the Smitty jacket changed over the past couple of years? The ratings on UA from 2016 are lower and and there were some negative comments about the feel of the material and breathability. The more recent comments seem more positive. Just wondered if there were changes to the material over the past couple of years.

I think that may have to do with people getting farther away from the Majestic convertible. In 2016 people were comparing the two since more people had experience with them. Now more people have never had a Majestic convertible, me included, so they can't compare the two and the Smitty rating naturally begins to climb. 

20 minutes ago, mwest5575 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. 

I wonder if it would be worth buying one of the MLB patched ones off of eBay and having the patch removed on the front and covering the back one with a flag patch? I'm guessing that it wouldn't and that it would leave holes in the jacket where the patch was.

20 hours ago, LineyNinja said:

@JimKirk I know you work with Majestic. Is there any hope for us young guys to be able to get our hands on the Majestic jacket? 

We spoke with Majestic about this several years back. They were no longer interested in making it.

It is time to let go of that ex-girlfriend who dumped you years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, LineyNinja said:

18 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

We spoke with Majestic about this several years back. They were no longer interested in making it.

It is time to let go of that ex-girlfriend who dumped you years ago.

Plus, with Nike coming in, dollars-to-donuts we get stuff from them trickling out for us.

I will have samples of this convertible jacket Monday

I was asked to source the same materials as Majestic from many umpires, I told the factory to use modern lightweight weather proof materials that will work

II sent a Majestic jacket as the template so we will see just how it turned out Monday.

Photos from factory of the 2 samples I had made

UL CONVERTIBLE.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Razzer said:

I will have samples of this convertible jacket Monday

I was asked to source the same materials as Majestic from many umpires, I told the factory to use modern lightweight weather proof materials that will work

II sent a Majestic jacket as the template so we will see just how it turned out Monday.

Photos from factory of the 2 samples I had made

UL CONVERTIBLE.jpg

If you ever do an all black version I will buy several. Unfortunately the gray on the sides means it doesn’t match for my conferences. They all have the all black from Majestic or Smitty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spiffdawg7 said:

If you ever do an all black version I will buy several. Unfortunately the gray on the sides means it doesn’t match for my conferences. They all have the all black from Majestic or Smitty. 

Might be an all black version or both

We will see how the samples look wear and feel before I make a big order

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Razzer said:

Might be an all black version or both

We will see how the samples look wear and feel before I make a big order

If you put in an order for both versions I would probably buy both lol. All black is the safe option and I would also get the gray sides for when I’m working in two man crew and my partner on the plate is wearing a long sleeved shirt. Especially if my partner is wearing the new mlb style gray side panel shirt on the plate. 

On 1/10/2019 at 5:46 AM, mwest5575 said:

The ratings on UA from 2016 are lower and and there were some negative comments about the feel of the material and breathability. The more recent comments seem more positive.

Oh sure, when you contrast a convertible jacket against those wretched sweatsacks from the other manufacturers, you’ll find yourself thinking the Smitty jacket is the best thing invented.

We have to stop settling for “good enough” mediocrity, or selling out for substandard sh!t because some dude in the association is getting a kickback on locking the lot of you in to buying navy shirts and jackets from Georgie’s Garage Officials East.

• Like 1

I saw an Officials Depot jacket this weekend. It looked good. I did not put it on, but the guy wearing it really liked it. He is friends with the guy that runs OD. It looked a little shiny compared to the Smitty.

I am really interested in the one @razzer is putting out. He says the fabric is great. Not sure what size to order through. I still have a XL Majestic that I wear if I use it on the plate (love it) and a L Smitty (which I hate) that I wear on the bases. I got too skinny to wear the Majestic on the bases.

13 hours ago, slo8140 said:

I saw an Officials Depot jacket this weekend. It looked good. I did not put it on, but the guy wearing it really liked it. He is friends with the guy that runs OD. It looked a little shiny compared to the Smitty.

I am really interested in the one @razzer is putting out. He says the fabric is great. Not sure what size to order through. I still have a XL Majestic that I wear if I use it on the plate (love it) and a L Smitty (which I hate) that I wear on the bases. I got too skinny to wear the Majestic on the bases.

I used the Majestic size charts for the convertible jacket

95% POLY WITH 5% SPANDEX for some give and stretch

• Like 1