Retro Teachable - Reversed Double-Triple Play

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1906 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi all, we have several Retro Teachable Moments lined up, but since we're releasing the Jerry Crawford podcast later this week, why not take a look back to Game 4 of the 1980 NLCS and a reversed double-to-triple catch/trap play involving an all-time great crew with HP Umpire Doug Harvey, Ed Vargo...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where I think umpires should just get on a mic and explain the end result like NFL does.

Looks like Harvey killed the play before Art Howe  ran and touched second base, which makes the double play a reasonable resolution for me

(at around 52:36 you see Howe touching second base for the third out, but you also see Harvey with his hand up - also seen better at about 55:31 Harvey appearing to be calling Time just as Howe is breaking for second base)

Well, if it was any consolation, the Phillies ended up winning this game, the series, and then the World Series.