New plate coats by OutWest Officials

tpatience
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1606 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:39 PM, umpstu said:

Expensive.  I live in a pretty warm area year round so no need, but they've always looked cool.

I understand your opinion on this, but $295 for a custom made “jacket” isn’t a bad deal.

I’m sure these don’t contain anywhere near the quality of fabrics or craftsmanship that a Brooks Brothers or other American manufacturer’s sportcoat has.  Those places also have a much larger economies of scale (ie volume).  This isn’t a bad deal as long as the quality is somewhat decent.

Im curious who is making these.

I live in San Diego, and have had three plate coats over the years. I just couldn't get the annual use out of them to justify the closet space. A game or two in March, and maybe on in November, and that was it. Anything above 60, and I was sweating too much to be cool.

Yeah, they're cool, no doubt. And there's no doubt in my mind that I'll end up with another down the road, gear junky that I am.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kylejt said:

I live in San Diego, and have had three plate coats over the years. I just couldn't get the annual use out of them to justify the closet space. A game or two in March, and maybe on in November, and that was it. Anything above 60, and I was sweating too much to be cool.

Yeah, they're cool, no doubt. And there's no doubt in my mind that I'll end up with another down the road, gear junky that I am.

I’m in OC and I can break out mine a few times a year. Love it when I do 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got my plate coat from Out West today and am impressed. It is very nice and fits well outside of the lengthy sleeves. I’m 5’7 and the sleeves and body are long even on the “short.” I plan on taking it to my tailor on Monday and having the sleeves adjusted. Outside of that, I’m happy and excited to break this thing out. Coaches and fans get excited and know we mean business and actually care about our profession when we come out looking professional in our coats. If you desire to look as good as you umpire then I’d definitely recommend ordering one of these from Out West. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 4:46 PM, JDavis225 said:

I got my plate coat from Out West today and am impressed. It is very nice and fits well outside of the lengthy sleeves. I’m 5’7 and the sleeves and body are long even on the “short.” I plan on taking it to my tailor on Monday and having the sleeves adjusted. Outside of that, I’m happy and excited to break this thing out. Coaches and fans get excited and know we mean business and actually care about our profession when we come out looking professional in our coats. If you desire to look as good as you umpire then I’d definitely recommend ordering one of these from Out West. 

What size coat did you get? I too am 5’7” but I’m 200lbs. Don’t want it to be tight in the bread basket LOL

On 1/10/2019 at 8:39 PM, umpstu said:

Expensive.  I live in a pretty warm area year round so no need, but they've always looked cool.

I built my WakeWear plate coat on a summer weight sport coat. It’s a 44L, has very simple lapels, and a “box split” at the back instead of a center split. A seamstress custom-made ball pockets, and relocated the main button so when closed, the coat fits perfectly. Total cost? Less than $100.

The amount of “field cred” it brings? Priceless. I wore it for 3 plates out of 25 plate games I had for the summer circuit, and I will have opportunities this fall, winter, and spring in Arizona... especially on night games. Plate coats look killer on night games.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...