Plastic dip removal

BT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1929 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I came across a Wilson A3017 on friday and pulled the trigger on it today. The pads (which will go to a friend of mine) and the harness (which I will probably use myself) are in great shape. As is the plastic dip on the mask. But I want to remove it before deciding what to do with it.

My question... how is the best way to do this at home? I was thinking of cutting it away with a razor over time. But not sure that is the most convenient way of doing this.

If anyone has recommendations on how to do this somewhat easy, that would be great.

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I feel like the sarcasm might be lost.

If you're careful, you can just hold over a fire and it melts really easily.  Or you can use a heat gun - available for $10-20 at most hardware stores, but this takes a lot of time to get it all off.

The fastest method is to just pour some gas on it and light it.  I'm not kidding. I should note, you don't have to douse it, just get it wet and light it.  Once the fire starts, it'll keep eating the plastic and I use an old metal coat hanger bent out to a long handle as my holder.  Once the fire has started good, I hold it up so both sides can burn equally.  Always keep a bucket of water ready to dip the mask once you are sure all the plastic is off (or if you fear it is getting too hot).  Then, once mask has cooled I use steel wool to completely clean the mask down to the bare wire/steel.  

The burning temperature of gasoline is much lower than the melting point of steel, so there isn't a fear of damaging the mask frame or structure. For instance, Jet fuel burns at 800° to 1500°F, not hot enough to melt steel (2750°F).  I'm sure others have their opinion, but I have not had any troubles to date. I've done it to several Wilson catcher masks (including the 2 I use the most often) and haven't had any troubles yet.

The easiest (and most costly option) is to send off to Mask-It for the whole process (including blasting that coating off) and he'll do it all for $55.

I might just see if a place local can do it on the cheap. If I do it on my own, what do you do to not cause a mess with the melted wax?

I do remember seeing those numbers regarding steel and gas. But not sure if I believe you :wink: #911Truther

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

I might just see if a place local can do it on the cheap. If I do it on my own, what do you do to not cause a mess with the melted wax?

I do remember seeing those numbers regarding steel and gas. But not sure if I believe you :wink: #911Truther

If it was the mask on eBay (WTA3007 - the whiskey special pads)... I think it was under $30 shipped asking price... so you can afford a burner. :fuel:  LOL

However, I've done several this way now and I haven't had any trouble.  All I do is hold the mask up once the fire is started and it all burns off in a few minutes.  I hold the mask over gravel, the heat and fire burn up the plastic so there really isn't any mess to speak of left over.   Just a black spot on the gravel.

Yeh... I wish it was that one. But nope... it's the old school umpire version with the extreme forward take. Aka the old reliable A3017.

I'm trying to decide what to do with it once I get the plastic dip off. I'll probably sell it to someone locally.

• Like 1

After it’s burned clean and steel wool down to bare metal send it to Tony at Mask-It Sports to have it powder coated. You won’t regret it. 

I did the plastic torch off around three years ago and painted, repainted, touched up then finally sent it to Tony last year. He put a gunmetal gray finish on it and it looks Fantastic! I had him do a titanium one in flat black too.  Both are remarkably professional looking.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Majordave said:

After it’s burned clean and steel wool down to bare metal send it to Tony at Mask-It Sports to have it powder coated. You won’t regret it. 

I did the plastic torch off around three years ago and painted, repainted, touched up then finally sent it to Tony last year. He put a gunmetal gray finish on it and it looks Fantastic! I had him do a titanium one in flat black too.  Both are remarkably professional looking.  

I'm well aware of Tony. He currently has one of my Nikes to mutilate. As well as my assignor's Wilson TI. But I have zero interest in putting more money into it than I already have. Who ever I sell it to can do with it as they want.