Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
BlueRanger

You Get An EJ! And You Get An EJ!...

Recommended Posts

Total circus at this middle-school pop-up tournament I was working at a few weeks ago. All games played under OBR.

EJ 1 & 2 [Game 1]

2 really good 8th grade (13/14u) teams. Partner is rocking it on the bases, and has nailed a few really close calls. Bottom 5th, 1 out, R1, R3, righty pitcher does 3rd-to-1st, partner balks it, visitors go ape crazy, VAC runs out from dugout and onto the infield to yell, I dump him, warn VHC, VHC goes out to talk, keeps it calm, walks back to dugout without incident. 

Next play: 1 out, R2, shot over F3, R2 rounds for home, slips trying to hold up, bang-bang as tag is applied as he dives back, partner calls him out, kid gets up, starts yelling and then slams helmet into the infield in direction of partner, dumped immediately.

Don't worry! It gets better!

EJ 3,4 [Game 3]

New teams, same age group. Partner is PU, I am BU.

In between innings, HHC and VAC get into it about a hard slide into second, both benches warned. Next inning, 0 outs, nobody on, 0-2 count, partner calls strike three, batter says something, gets tossed, I go to escort him off the field and VHC starts losing his mind and screaming "You're F-ing crazy! Get off the power trip, etc." he gets run. Game concludes and Visitor parents start yelling at us as we head to TD table to turn in the game cards.

Rest of the day was peaceful and freezing!

-BR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

When they gotta go, they gotta go.  The only question I have is when VAC came out of the dugout to argue the balk call, did you have any opportunity to get him back in before dumping him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow... That's crazy.

If VAC come out to argue a balk, is it an auto EJ, or do you say something along the lines of "I'll only talk to your head coach, get back in the dugout" first? Or maybe just a stop sign into EJ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

Wow... That's crazy.

If VAC come out to argue a balk, is it an auto EJ, or do you say something along the lines of "I'll only talk to your head coach, get back in the dugout" first? Or maybe just a stop sign into EJ?

For me, it depends on how aggressively he comes out.  If I have a chance to give a stop sign and he takes it, then he can stay.  If he's running out and gets past the foul line and I can't stop him, then he's written his own ticket to the parking lot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grayhawk said:

For me, it depends on how aggressively he comes out.  If I have a chance to give a stop sign and he takes it, then he can stay.  If he's running out and gets past the foul line and I can't stop him, then he's written his own ticket to the parking lot.

Does this apply equally to anytime a AC comes out, or especially so with calls like balks where there's rarely a reason for a coach to discuss anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grayhawk said:

When they gotta go, they gotta go.  The only question I have is when VAC came out of the dugout to argue the balk call, did you have any opportunity to get him back in before dumping him?

I mean, I'm somewhat fast, but this dude just sprinted/charged at my partner, so I wasn't even going to bother at that point.

-BR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

Does this apply equally to anytime a AC comes out, or especially so with calls like balks where there's rarely a reason for a coach to discuss anything?

Anytime for me. I straight up tell the HCs and the plate meeting if its lower level stuff that I will only talk with them, which usually works out fine. 

My advice would be to just say you'll only discuss it with the HC, and if the AC was/is still out of control or not listening, dump him.

-BR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BlueRanger said:

Anytime for me. I straight up tell the HCs and the plate meeting if its lower level stuff that I will only talk with them, which usually works out fine. 

My advice would be to just say you'll only discuss it with the HC, and if the AC was/is still out of control or not listening, dump him.

-BR

That's the key - never do this at HS level or above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueRanger said:

I mean, I'm somewhat fast, but this dude just sprinted/charged at my partner, so I wasn't even going to bother at that point.

-BR

Yup - he left you no choice.  Though I would rather your partner be the one to eject here.  After all, VAC was sprinting at him, not you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

That's the key - never do this at HS level or above.

Yeah, I would never say that during any sort of HS, high level youth tourney, etc. game. Most of the tournaments I do have coaches that often played college and minor or indy league, so I aim for a 45sec plate meeting. Been getting rave reviews! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Yup - he left you no choice.  Though I would rather your partner be the one to eject here.  After all, VAC was sprinting at him, not you.

No argument here. Can't help but think that a game I had in the days before where I left a few over the line things alone, assuming my partner would get them, played a role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BlueRanger said:

Anytime for me. I straight up tell the HCs and the plate meeting if its lower level stuff that I will only talk with them, which usually works out fine. 

My advice would be to just say you'll only discuss it with the HC, and if the AC was/is still out of control or not listening, dump him.

-BR

Yeah, in the daddy ball stuff I'm calling, I'll bring it up in the plate meeting, but I'm not gonna dump someone simply for wanting to talk. Charging or whatever is obviously a different story, but if a coach, even if their not HC, wants to talk in a respectful manner, I'm not gonna dump 'em on the spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Yeah, in the daddy ball stuff I'm calling, I'll bring it up in the plate meeting, but I'm not gonna dump someone simply for wanting to talk. Charging or whatever is obviously a different story, but if a coach, even if their not HC, wants to talk in a respectful manner, I'm not gonna dump 'em on the spot.

Daddy ball is the worst. The only time I'll talk with an AC is I'm in A and he is coaching first. As long as it's respectful and he stays in the box I'll answer a questions or respond quickly. And I'm talking so casual a conversation nobody in the ballpark knows it's even going on but me and him. Anything argumentative, animated, or outside of the coach's box and he gets an immediate stop sign. Travel ball dads are the worst as the ones that know the least get put out at first, where they are in front of everyone and way too close to me to be arguing incessantly. 

Had a fall travel game a month or so ago and the FBC didn't like a close call at first. It was awkward looking but my PU had the same thing I had and even the HC from the dugout knew I had it. FBC chirped a bit and I let it go so I did the same. Next inning a banger at first and once again I nailed it (according to my partner). At this point the FBC swings around at me and holds up two fingers and yelled "That's two you've blown on us, blue" and stomped around clearly showing me up. HS or up I would have dumped him but I didn't. In retrospect I probably should have. At the time it didn't seem worth stirring up the parents when nobody on the bench or in the stands understands coaching decorum anyway. Around here travel ball is just not worth doing for me because of the coach/dad attitudes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 12:04 PM, mwest5575 said:

1. At the time it didn't seem worth stirring up the parents when nobody on the bench or in the stands understands coaching decorum anyway. 

2. Around here travel ball is just not worth doing for me because of the coach/dad attitudes.

If they are allowed to hang around when they act like you describe, they will never understand coaching decorum.

Either this is not true or the story you have related is not. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×